Rice...so many choices

ooooooops. Do NOT buy 'quick cook' parboiled rice.
Yuck....mush. Surley the regular Basmati will taste better. My mistake! Or is Jasmine better?

I dislike par-boiled or so-called converted rice of any kind.

Pre-cooked, frozen rice (like that at TJ's) can be good.

Rice cooking instructions on the packaging nearly always call for too much cooking.

For white basmati, jasmine and most American white rices I bring to a boil, stir once, cover, reduce the heat to low, then cook 13 minutes. At that point I remove it from the heat and do not touch the cover for a few minutes (about 5). Then I quickly lift the lid and either drape a kitchen towel of a doubled paper towel over the top of the pot then replace the lid. In 5-7 more minutes I fluff the rice and either serve, or cool for storage in the fridge.

I do the same for brown rices but cook 25 minutes initially, then off heat for 10, then the towel thing for 5-7 - also with the cover on.

we eat a lot of rice. i'm married to an asian.

we use a rice cooker because it's ridiculously easy. it's a zoshirushi, which is ridiculously expensive - but the thing is amazing.

perfect rice everytime, and it keeps it warm and fluffy.

we usually use jasmine, i forget the brand.
although we also eat basmati, which i love.

Rice cookers are the nut. Even the cheap ones work fine I've found (but make sure the pot insert is nonstick). But Zojirushi is the best by far. Highly recommended.

Follow up report.
Basmati brown rice from TJ's is excellent! On my second bag.
Just tried Jasmine brown from TJ's...seems to be a lighter style. Very good but I like the richer Basmati brown based on what I've tried.

Follow up report.
Basmati brown rice from TJ's is excellent! On my second bag.
Just tried Jasmine brown from TJ's...seems to be a lighter style. Very good but I like the richer Basmati brown based on what I've tried.

Steve,

You have come a long way since your original post on this subject. Only recommendation I could give you at this time is to continue to experiment with different rices, and you will be amazed at what new experiences are out there.

My next door neighbor is Japanese and he introduced me to a rice from Japan called "new rice". I really do not know the "why" but I can tell you it was a wonderfully different texture. It had to be rinsed a couple of times before cooking and maybe that is why.

Anyway - experiment.

Ray

Back