Ribs

Darian Hofer

TVWBB Pro
Cooked up 2 racks of St Louis cut pork ribs. I cut them in half, seasoned with Meat Church Gospel yesterday and vacuum sealed. Put them in a small cooler and sous vide at 155 degrees for about 16 hours. Pulled them out of sous vide, ice bath then onto Pitts and Spitts1250 at 350 degrees. Obviously not much smoke flavor but super juicy and rendered nicely.
Next time I will slow smoke 2 hours first. Recipe online called for liquid smoke but I didn’t have any. These were nice meaty ribs.
IMG_6542.jpegIMG_6537.jpegIMG_6538.jpegIMG_6539.jpegIMG_6541.jpeg

Yeah, I gotta say I am so frustrated with so called "baby backs", I do love St Louis. They always seem to render out nicely, come out tasty and tender. The back ribs you find in regular markets i.e. Sam's, Costco, grocery stores, etc, even many meat markets, always treat me with tough, stringy results

Yeah, I gotta say I am so frustrated with so called "baby backs", I do love St Louis. They always seem to render out nicely, come out tasty and tender. The back ribs you find in regular markets i.e. Sam's, Costco, grocery stores, etc, even many meat markets, always treat me with tough, stringy results
The BBs I find around here have such a big difference in thickness from end to end that it's almost impossible to get a uniform result throughout the slab. I do buy them if the price is right, but much prefer spares, which I either cook whole or trim to St. Louis. Either way, they're a much better value.

I like St. Louis ribs better, too, Larry. My wife prefers baby backs, so I bbq both. I have had baby backs that I felt were decent, but well-trimmed St. Louis ribs just seem to be more "real" ribs to me.

The BBs I find around here have such a big difference in thickness from end to end that it's almost impossible to get a uniform result throughout the slab. I do buy them if the price is right, but much prefer spares, which I either cook whole or trim to St. Louis. Either way, they're a much better value.
These 2 racks of St Louis cut were really off balance. One side was much thicker. And they were overall pretty thick. I don’t normally have such luck. But the Sous Vide really balances out the cook with no extra effort. A couple hours of pre smoke before the sous vide next time should make a huge difference in smoke flavor.

I like BB as well as spare, trimmed down to St. Louis. WM now carries "Prairie Fresh Natural Fresh Pork" brand in both types with no mention of solution added! I find this brand to be pretty decent & have had good results with them.

Wish they carried them here. Love Prairie Fresh pork.

Back