ribs the next day

Steve Abrams

TVWBB Pro
Next Sunday we are having a small family get together. The wife wants turkey and pork ribs.

I'm planning on 7 slabs of ribs saturday and the turkey (12-14 pound) on sunday.

My question is how do I save the ribs. I usually use the 3-2-1 method. Do I do the 3-2 part and put the ribs on ice and finish them Sunday on a grill? Do I do the 3-2-1, then ice and just reheat?

I know the proper solution but my wife won't let buy another WSM. She said that I'd just have to bite the bullet
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Also, please don't say get up early and do both.

I'm interested in the topic of pre-smoking ribs then storing and finishing later.

I think I would tend toward your first approach. 3 then 1 to 1.5, then a quick chill.

Then finish and glaze on grill when you need them. Is foodsaver an option for you?

If so, maybe chill, foodsaver then a quick reheat of fs bags in boiling water then finish on the grill.

Just a thought.

I'd go 3 - 2 then refridgerate until the next day. (They are done cooking) Sauce and finish on grill. I'd put them in a pan of sauce first on medium heat to reheat, then on direct heat to set glaze. I pretty much reheat my leftovers this way.

I'll tell you what I've always done in that situation. I'll cook the ribs until they're done, rub....baste, mop and all. I let them cool, and then I vacuum seal them. All you have to do the next day is drop them in some boiling water for about 15 minutes. They'll be good as new!
icon_wink.gif

I promise.

-Brian

Steve,

I'm very new here, but have done this in the past. Sometimes I have smoked & cooked the ribs, then put a little sauce on them. Let them cool down. You may have to cut the slabs in two. Put them into large pans. At least 9x13. Cover tightly with foil, trying not to press down onto the ribs. Refrigerate.

When you want to eat the ribs. Remove from frig and let stand at room temp for an hour. Put your oven, yes oven on at 225. I pull back the foil a bit, and add a little water mixed with apple juice into the pan. No need to pour it all over the ribs. This is just so the sauce and ribs don't stick to the bottom of the pan, and also to keep them from drying out. Don't put a lake of it in there either. Heat in oven about an hour, you don't need to cook them again. Just heat through. I have had very good luck with this method. And have used it for out of town get-to-gethers, camping, and such. Good luck. And, yes another Weber cooker would be nice, huh?

Thanks for the help
icon_smile.gif

Right now, using the food saver is the way to go. Going to leave them dry and after heating them up I'm going to hack them into 2 rib pieces. I'll set out several different sauces for dipping.

Its not the way I wanted to do it but.. I'm only the cheap labor.

I can tell you what NOT to do!

I made ribs for an office pot luck. I did them 3-2-1 (modified, these were baby backs), or at least the 3-2 part of the formula. Took them to work 2 days later to finish off on the gasser we have at work.

Well, the combination of some salt in the rub and sitting for a few days gave me real ham-on-a-stick. They tasted thoroughly "cured" to me. Everyone else enjoyed them and the ribs did get eaten, but they were the worst ribs I have ever produced on the WSM. I think they would have been better just cooking to completion and then re-warming.

So you just rubbed them and left them for 2 days? Yeah, I would expect them to be a little overpowering. I only put my rub on after I've lit the chimney.

The only reason I LOVE to boil the vacuum sealed meat is because the water can't really get above 212 degrees ( yea, yea...depending on sea level )
icon_wink.gif

You put the bag in the water for about 15 minutes and you never go above your smoking temperature...not to mention...they're just about as good as fresh off the smoker, sometimes, better!

Back