Ribs tend to be dry at ends after 4 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Taylor

Good morning,

I've done ribs a few times this season, - the ribs I'm using are the size of baby back, but aren't baby back, not sure what cut they are, but they are about the same size.

I put a dry rub on the ribs ( Dizzy Dust), cover them, and leave 'em in the fridge until I need them later that day.

Problem: I put the ribs right onto the 2 racks in my WSM and leave them there for the full 4 hours I've been told to smoke them for .... I smoke at 250 degrees for the whole smoke ...

The thing is this, I find the ends of most of the smaller ribs are so dry that you cannot even eat them, - I'm wondering what you all do to prevent this ? ... I feel I should be taking better care of the meat, and perhaps I should be doing something more that would stop this from happening.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

The ends are getting dry because they are exposed to the direct heat we get at the walls of the cooker. Cut the racks in half and keep them protected from the direct heat, or you can use foiling techniques.
Jim

The ends are probably too close to the edges of the grate, where hotter air rising from around the outside of the the water pan is drying them out. If this is the case, you cut cut them in half or roll them to keep it from happening. Or even cover the ends in foil at some point after they've cooked a bit.

Here's something else to try, Mark. Hot foot it over to Lowe's or Home Depot and pickup a couple of Charbroil Rib & Potato Racks for about $7-8 each. (Don't bother with the better made, more expensive Weber Rib Racks as they do not hold as many ribs, and once you cook ribs a time or two, you're gonna wanna cook more ribs at the time.)

Sounds like you may be buying St. Louis Style ribs, which is what we prefer at my house (usually good price and meaty). Before you start cooking, cut each rack of ribs in half and put the halves in the rib rack with the bones running vertically, using just one rack centered on each grate. This keeps the ends away from the high heat around the edge of the grate. About halfway through the cook I start spraying apple juice on the ribs and sometimes turn them end-over-end about half way through the cook.

This past weekend, I did six racks of St. Louis style. Let them stay around 215 degrees the first hour, then finished them off around 235-245 degrees. (Trying to achieve the smoke ring that Mr. Minion says you get at lower temps.) I think they are the best I've done yet--firm but pull clean from the bone. Took a little longer to cook but I think it was worth it.

Tom

Mark,
Did you mean it when you say that you're cooking them for 4 hours? If so, that's not enough unless you're cooking at a higher heat than the typcal 225 - 250 degrees.

Hi Jerry,

I'll post to your post as it was the last....
yes, I'm smoking them for 4 hours at 250 degrees... usually in the first hour they are about 225 though .... these are indeed the baby back style or "size" rib... they are about 1/2 the length of the St. Louis style rib that Costco here in Canada sometimes sells. Funny though so far this summer, they ( Costco) have NOT had the quite large St.Louis ribs, which is very depressing.

Last year I did the St.Louis ribs for 6 hours and found them perfect. I'm going to cut my ribs smaller and also invest in a few rib racks as Tom has suggested. Geez I feel great now that Jim himself has joined in the conversation :-)

I have a few pics of the ribs and will try to post them tomorrow and send a link in this thread.

Interesting about how the walls of the WSM get hotter, - doh I feel a bit dopey as now that Jim mentions that I see exactly how that happens.... the heat buildup around the walls must be quite noticable as the water pan will help direct hot air up the sides.

In any event, thank goodness for this forum :-)

Btw, 2 weeks ago Ottawa ( my town) hosted the Ottawa Rib Festival, and wow it was great :-)
many great places there even Billy Bones was there, if you are intersted see some images here:
http://www.detroitgrillking.com/ribfest2004/

Thank you all again.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back