Ribs - Sulphur smell

Chris Estes

Hi,

I just opened a cryo pack of spares from Sams Club -- they had a sort of sulphur smell (rotten eggs?).

What do you say???

-Chris-

I think that a sulfer smell from pork is a pretty good definition of "Bad Meat" I would take them back.

Sometimes cryo packaged pork has a funky odor when the pack is first opened. Try rinsing the pork with cold water and then give it another sniff test.

Al

Well, I was too spooked to cook 'em, so I ran back out to Sam's Club. They took 'em back with no questions asked -- I stopped at Safeway and got ribs for $0.18 less since they were on sale! I started my fire Minion-style, so it was still going strong when I got home and got prepped.

I'm doing 4 slabs tonight, and another 4 tomorrow, plus chicken & dogs on the kettle -- a banner meat-burning day at our place!!!

Hope your weekend weather looks as nice as it does here in southern Maryland!

-Chris-

Good for you and props to Sam's Club for taking them back.

I had some funky cryo ribs from Smart & Final, took them back and they said, "sorry, we don't know how you took care of them after you left so we can't be sure if it was ours/ribs fault".

I had to toss 2 racks of spares.

I hope these are the best ribs you ever have.

~ Sean

This info from the Pork Butt Selection & Preparation article applies to any pork in Cryovac.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You may notice a slight odor when opening the Cryovac packaging. This odor is normal and should dissipate quickly. If the odor is a strong, putrid smell that does not dissipate after a few minutes, even after rinsing under cold running water, this is a sign that the meat is spoiled, and it should be returned to the store for a refund.

You may also notice some liquid in the bottom of the Cryovac packaging. This liquid is called "purge" in the meat industry. It is normal for meat to release a modest amount of liquid as it sits in the packaging. However, a large amount of liquid is an indication of excessive storage time, improper storage temperature, or previously frozen meat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Regards,
Chris

Back