Ribs... Pulling my Hair Out... Help!

Jim Creasy

TVWBB Fan
No luck on doing ribs on my WSM. Read the 3-2-1 method and I do not like them falling off bone either, so I did 6 hours straight without taking off and foiling. I figured they would be drier and a little more firm.

Wrong. Fell literally apart trying to get them off and extremely greasy.

Did back rib rack and rack of spares. Trimmed most of the fat and skirt off the spares and the back ribs didn't look too fatty.

Temp. was 230 to 240 w/ water in the pan. I misted with apple cider vinegar when I put them on and the lid stayed on the whole time.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks,

JKC

How larger are the racks you've been cooking? are you going solely by the Weber lid therm which tends to read hotter than the grate? 6 hours for ribs seems pretty long for me unless you've got some huge ribs.

This is what I do and I cook some seriously good ribs. I get the lid temp to about 235 (grate reads about 265 measured using a Maverick). I let sit in smoke for about 2 hours sometimes a bit more. I then remove and foil with some apple juice. I put back on for about 1 hour or so (go more if you want them fall off the bone or a little less if you like them firm). After the 60 minutes in the foil, they should be very tender but not falling apart. I then unfoil for another 30 minutes to crisp up the bark and sauce. I insert a toothpick and if it goes in easy, I pull em.

I always buy smaller racks less than 2lbs per slab, sometimes I go as small as 1.5lbs. My total cook time is between 4 - 4.5 hours whether I'm doing baby backs or spares.This is what they look like at the end. I used to do a 3-2-1 method but they were coming out like yours, too mushy. Just adjust your time in the foil to get the desired tenderness. The rest should be easy.

I've had good results using the method Christopher describes. For my taste two hours in foil is too long.

I buy big racks of ribs (I only do spares), usually around 4.5 - 5 lb pre-trimmed and my cooks range from 5.5 - 7 hours running at 225 grate.

I'd confirm your grate temp, if you're intersted in foiling cut the foiling time and also consider firming-up at high heat, I'll throw them on my gasser or kettle for the firming process sometimes and it can give the ribs a nice char if you're into that. If you're not using foil start testing for doneness around the 4 - 5 hour mark depending on the size of the ribs.

You'll get it, just takes a little practice for some of us (I was one of the "us").

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Wrong. Fell literally apart trying to get them off and extremely greasy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm wondering about this. Seems odd to me. I look for well marbled ribs and never had a problem with any being greasy.

I'll echo what others have said, check your temps. often when a cook does not go as anticipated, its usually due to over or under estimating your cooking level temp.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Wrong. Fell literally apart trying to get them off and extremely greasy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm wondering about this. Seems odd to me. I look for well marbled ribs and never had a problem with any being greasy.

I'll echo what others have said, check your temps. often when a cook does not go as anticipated, its usually due to over or under estimating your cooking level temp. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The last batch I cooked were greasy as all get out as well. Was rather disappointed. Did them the same way I always do and had never run into this before.

Therefore, I don't think it was the cooking process, but rather just an overly fatty batch of ribs.

I don't cook many baby backs but 6 hours at 240 seems like way way too much cook time for them. If your spares were cut st louis style probably too much for them too.

Don't rely on the clock too much, at least until you get down a system you like. Instead start using a toothpick and see just how tender they're feeling so you can catch them before they turn to mush. I'd probably start poking at them 3 hours in and keep some notes on temp and how they feel. Eventually you'll nail it.

Maybe pickup your ribs at a different grocery store next time and see if that fixes the fat problem.

I cooked some back ribs that I really liked. They were just over one pound per rack, low fat, very nice meat. I don't know who packed them, but I bought them from a local high end butcher.

I cooked some back ribs a few weeks later that I really hated because they were very greasy and fatty when cooked. They were around 3 pounds per rack. I think they were Smithfields from Harris Teeter.

My point is that your choice of meat has a lot to do with what results you get. If you're getting greasy/fatty ribs then go buy ribs from a different packer at a different store.

I find that without foiling etc. etc. they can be done anywhere from 4-6 hours. You basically need to check them at 4 hours and if they're nowhere near done check again in an hour, if they're close check in a half hour, and if they're done you eat them. :)

I do find that falling off the bone ribs taste kind of greasy to me.

I just did 3 loin back racks the other day. I did them for 6 hours at a grate temp of 275-300*. They were very mushy. I was not happy. My WSM was not cooperating. It was kinda windy and I over compensated with the fuel. Weird things happen and when they do there is always Bud Lite.

Bud Light or Natty Ice.

Thanks for all the comments. We have two butchers near me that have great quality beef. Use them for Rib Eyes and Filets and Porterhouses.

I bought my ribs at at Kroger... Prepacked, previously frozen. (I know guys, cringe)! But seriously, I used to cook these on my kettle, actually grill them, with just salt and pepper and a little garlic powder and they came out great. Kinda like a nearly naked Memphis dry style.

I'll try again when I get up the nerve and incorporate some of your suggestions.

One direct question... Marbled? I always look for that in my beef and pork shoulder/butt, but in ribs?

In any event, glad to hear others have had my frustrations, and as always, appreciate the feedback.

JKC

PS May do a shoulder or butt tomorrow... "Details at 1100."

I have to say Jim, and I don't take this the wrong way, but I find ribs to be about the easiest thing to cook on the WSM. Pork butts are easy too but take all day. Ribs you can start after lunch and enjoy them for dinner.

Forget the 3-2-1 method. 2 hours in foil and the meat will be gross (unless you've got some monster Fred Flintstone ribs!). I follow a 2.5-1-.5 method and it has worked incredibly well for me. I use the Horizon Foods frozen Danish baby back ribs a lot and they come out fantastic. They are expensive but the meat is high quality.

Hatfield also makes really good spares that you can find in a lot of high end grocery stores and they tend to be smallish (under 2lbs).

I have found ribs very easy to do on a WSM. I do not foil. All I due is rub the ribs with what ever I fell like trying, and smoke at about 250 with water in the pan. I check at about 3-4 four hours and when I see the meat has pulled back from the bone ends I tear a couple of ribs to see if they are the "tenderness" I like. I then bast with bbq sauce put back on for about 15 min and done.

Christopher G., I am completely taking your comment the wrong way and heading up to CT beat your face in!

Kidding, of course.

I will try your method and see what shakes.

I am not a competition guy by any means, but I know my way around a Kettle and these things have me stumped on the WSM.

Judging from the replies, I am thinking I got less than the best meat to start with, and then over cooked w/ a water pan.

Will let everyone know how the next one turns out and, again, thanks for all the feedback/support.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, kids.

JKC

Jim 1st of all get the water pan and throw it in the trash can, the pan with water is just to control temp, the wsm is pretty air tight so controlling the temp is no problem without the pan, do not trim the fat off the ribs fat is ur friend, all the fat will melt off, make sure ur temp is 225-250 at the grate not the lid, for spares smoke 3.5-4.5 hrs max, foil for 1hr or less anymore and mush, or foil and put in a cooler for about 1.5hrs, after pulling ribs from foil let rest before cutting around 10-15 minutes, the best ribs are smithfields or swift premium

Next time try the bend method for doneness. Take the rack by the end with tongs and see if they bend straight down and then check to see if the y have a slight tear (small end) when pulled apart with your fingers. When they do this that is when I throw them back on add sauce and cook about 20 to 30 more minutes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Creasy:
Christopher G., I am completely taking your comment the wrong way and heading up to CT beat your face in!

Kidding, of course.

I will try your method and see what shakes.

I am not a competition guy by any means, but I know my way around a Kettle and these things have me stumped on the WSM.

Judging from the replies, I am thinking I got less than the best meat to start with, and then over cooked w/ a water pan.

Will let everyone know how the next one turns out and, again, thanks for all the feedback/support.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, kids.

JKC </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha. Very funny.
icon_smile.gif

Seriously, part of what makes bbq so hard is knowing how to select your meat. I am by no means an expert but I have learned over the years what to look for. Ribs can be very tricky to pick a good slab. Pork butts are probably the most forgiving and brisket flats the least.

Costco/Sam's generally has good stuff if you can't find anything at your local grocery store. I typically don't buy from them because their quantities are too large for my needs. But it helps to find a brand you like so your cooks become more predictable.

When I switched from water to the clay pot base in my water pan I felt that I got more consistant cooks. Might be something to consider. Vince

Jim, did you get the membrane off the back? I forgot once and it makes the ribs cook longer, less flavorful and I think more greasy especially with meat side up.

I do mustard slather and then rub. I cook them slow at 230-250 lid temp for about 4-5 hours and they came out great. I'm a newbie so I totally shocked myself. Used baby backs from safeway grocery, nothing fancy. I don't sauce on the grill cuz we all like different sauce.

BB Ribs done

Back