ribs on kettle

My first (and only, so far) high-temp brisket looked a lot like that...no bark. Next time I plan on less time in the foil, especially at the end.

Did you swap the butts half way through or just leave them where they were?

How much coal did you use to cook all four butts?

What was your water pan method?

Joe W.,

I flipped the butts at 10 hrs. When i took off the smallest butt i moved the other to the top grate so there were three up top. I then put the brisket on the bottom grate.

I used a full charcoal pan w/ 40 lit briketts which lasted about 9 hours i then added about 30 more unlit over the dwindling coals to maintain 225 through the end of cooking period.

I did add hot water to the water pan initially and i replenished once.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
indirect. two slabs will be ok. if more then you need a rack. use fire bricks and a rail to hold coals on one side. foil the charcoal grate up to the coals. i do not use water. vent under the fire and lid vent over the ribs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Although I have not tried it yet, Jamie Purviance describes a method of cooking several racks of ribs on a kettle by stacking and rotating them. This way they equally share the exposure to the heat. It’s in his book “Weber’s Way to Grill”.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jamie Berry:
Joe W.,

I flipped the butts at 10 hrs. When i took off the smallest butt i moved the other to the top grate so there were three up top. I then put the brisket on the bottom grate.

I used a full charcoal pan w/ 40 lit briketts which lasted about 9 hours i then added about 30 more unlit over the dwindling coals to maintain 225 through the end of cooking period.

I did add hot water to the water pan initially and i replenished once. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks!

Back