Ribs - Not so good.

Beau_Jess

So this last weekend I broke in my WSM 22" for the first time on Baby Back Ribs using the
3-(2.5)-0.5 method. They were decent but I've made better in the past. Personally, I think this method cooked them a little long. To the point where the meat was falling off the bone too easy and some of the ends of the smaller racks were borderline dry. Most of the racks were just fine though but the taste was a little bland, due to lack of salt. This time I applied my rub just 2 hours before I threw them on the smoker, could this have caused the blandness/lack of salt?? Normally I apply the rub the night before. I got my ribs from Costco and it was my first time trying their Baby Back Ribs. Here's a dumb question: Don't most ribs come with somewhat of a salty flavor or is it mostly in the rub that's applied?? Should I add more salt to the rub or just apply the rub for a longer period of time?? Also, on cook times. When do you guys start timing?? When you throw the meat on or when the temp gets to the right range?? Is the 3-1-1 method a better option for smoking baby back ribs?? I'd be grateful for any ideas you guys can give to this NEWB.

No worries. It takes practice.

Many have found 3-2-1 too long and use variations down to 2-1-1. You just gotta play with it until it comes out right for you.

"Salty" ribs usually results from the usage of "enchanced" meat (soaked in a salt brine). For these, you typically don't want salt in the rub.

Flavor is so subjective. If you prefer them rubbed overnight, then do so.

What kind of rub are you using? I can understand how the meat can come out too salty/not salty enough but 'bland'? Were there no other spices in your rub?

For 3-2-1 methods, timing starts when you put the ribs on.

Six hours total is quite a bit for loin back or baby back ribs. If you're foiling, perhaps 3 hours or a little more usually will get you there. The time in the foil will greatly speed things along. With loin backs or baby backs, I start checking in the foil after as little time as 30 minutes after 2 hours in the smoke.

My family generally likes "fall off the bone' ribs and doesn't understand when I get upset if they get that far.

One great thing about a cook that doesn't come out the way you want is that you have to get back on the smoker right away and cook a do over!

Pat

I made my first ribs on my wsm (18.5) this weekend. Did 5 racks of st. louis style, using rib racks on the top and bottom grate. Did 3 hours of smoke followed by 2 hours of foil. Loosly followed the Harry Soo slap your daddy method (used his rub also).

While they were good, I learned a couple of things. They were definetly fall off the bone tender. The family liked that. I will put less apple juice in the foil next time. Since each foil pack had 2 racks of ribs, I used a good 1/4 cup of apple juice. I will also check for doness earlier than 2 hours in the foil.

All in all, another good experience with the weber.

Cheers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TravisH:
No worries. It takes practice.

Many have found 3-2-1 too long and use variations down to 2-1-1. You just gotta play with it until it comes out right for you.

"Salty" ribs usually results from the usage of "enchanced" meat (soaked in a salt brine). For these, you typically don't want salt in the rub.

Flavor is so subjective. If you prefer them rubbed overnight, then do so.

What kind of rub are you using? I can understand how the meat can come out too salty/not salty enough but 'bland'? Were there no other spices in your rub?

For 3-2-1 methods, timing starts when you put the ribs on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The rub I used was as followed:

1 C. Brown Sugar
1/2 C. Paprika
1 T. garlic powder
1 T. onion powder
1 T. salt
1 T. cayenne pepper
1 T. black pepper
1 T. white pepper

Would you guys change this rub a bit to add more salt to it??

Personally, I'd cut the sugar 75% and switch the paprika to something that actually has flavor - a different chile, or a combination of chilies - but that's not what you asked.

I don't put salt in rubs at all and I would recommend the same. Skip the salt in the rub. Instead, salt the ribs first, as lightly or as generously as you want - me, I salt both sides as if the ribs were served to me already cooked but unsalted. Wait several minutes for the salt to draw moisture from the meat, then apply the rub over the salt. It will stick well due to the moisture present. I rub right before they go into the smoker.

As for timing - well, I don't time cooks, except for HH brisket cooks. If I am foiling I first cook the ribs till they are richly colored and then I foil. I cook till tender while in the foil, then only return the unfoiled ribs to the grate to firm; takes just a few minutes. (I cook at 325-350 so cook times are shorter all around.) If you're going to cook by time then do so for the unfoiled phase and the foiled phase - but don't bother timing after that. When you unfoil the ribs check them for tenderness (stick a probe between the bones; if tender, the probe will go in effortlessly) and then go from there, checking periodically, till the ribs are tender. Done.

Relying on tenderness and not time will give you consistent results every time.

Would this be a better Rib Rub option:

6 tablespoon Brown sugar
3 tablespoons Paprika
2 tablespoon(s) Salt
2 teaspoons Black pepper
2 teaspoons White pepper
2 teaspoons Cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons Garlic powder
2 teaspoons Onion powder

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think this method cooked them a little long. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree. Per Kevin's comment, I prefer to do baby backs higher heat and quicker, 275-325, no foil. But I like the spares (St Louis trimmed) lower and slower, also no foil. For me, the foil tends toward fall-off-the-bone, and you lose the bark, imho.
Also, the no-salt rub is an excellent idea I've adopted. That way you can gauge salt amounts more easily on the meat. All you need is a bit more practice; not to worry.
icon_smile.gif

Yes, Beau, I think that's a better option. Try it and see what you think. I would suggest trying salting the meat first, separately, and if you want chile flavor, subbing the paprika with something like ancho, guajillo, or a blend. (Of course, if you're not looking for chile flavor the paprika will do as a bulking agent.) Alternatively, sub the paprika with 'chili powder', which tends to be primarily ancho.

If you foil ribs during cooking you need only remove them from the foil when they become tender, to avoid a FOTB result. A few minutes unfoiled will firm bark - a bit longer at lower temps, but it need not be so long that the ribs overcook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary H. NJ:
........ also no foil. For me, the foil tends toward fall-off-the-bone, and you lose the bark, imho. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agree, skip the "Texas Crutch".

OP - you just went too far. That happens when you follow a formula. Baby backs are around 3 - 4 hours, St Louis are more in the 5 - 6 range.

But ribs (any many others) are done when they're done. Use the bend/bounce test.

Meathead's Rib Guide

Or as little as half those times if one cooks at higher temps. Commercial pork ribs do not require low/slow temps, despite what one repeatedly reads.

When using the "Texas Crutch"/Foil method, does it matter how much liquid goes into the foil?? Does less liquid make it cook slower in the foil??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Beau_Jess:
When using the "Texas Crutch"/Foil method, does it matter how much liquid goes into the foil?? Does less liquid make it cook slower in the foil?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you add cold liquid it may take a while for the braising effect. The amount of liquid really depends on what you want to happen in the foil pouch. I just spray and even then you gotta be careful with over cooking. Too much liquid and your meat will be swimming, of course if you want an aggresive braise then ok.

Mark

I agree with Pat Smith. 6 hours is way too long for baby backs. When they "look" done (meat pulling up the bone) give them the tear test. They'll probably pass. Since I got my WSM the only recipe/formula I follow is the Minion Method. I do spares cut SL style and I never foil. Ribs come out tender and juicy. And I don't apply rub until they're ready to go on the WSM. 4-5 hours later - they're done. And I'm cooking at 5300 ft. Temps between 200-265. I'll suggest a great book for you. Adam Perry Lang's "Serious Barbecue". It's a bit pricey - but worth it. Some great stuff if you're into recipes, layering flavors and foiling . Which he always does. Me - I don't see the need to foil at this point. But that's just me.

Back