Ribs - not britu - please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry N.

TVWBB Emerald Member
I'm a little disappointed with the ribs today. They weren't done. I don't understand how most people on this board say baby backs should be done in about 5 hours. I pulled mine (three racks - each cut in half) at 6 hours today and I think they could have gone another two. Either I need to figure out how to tell if they are done or figure out what's taking so long.

The entire cook held pretty stable at just under 250° (measured at the lid) for the entire cook. I sprayed with apple juice at the half way points and I'm quick to get the lid back on. My thermometer is reading right in the boiling water test.

Any suggestions? Do I just need to bring up the temp a little? I really don't want to spend 7 or 8 hours doing baby backs.

It can also depend on what your definition of done is. Some want "falling off the bone"-- literally. Others want firm but tender, with meat pulling cleanly from the bone with just a hint of resistance. I don't know if higher temp is the answer-- I'd hesitate to recommend going past 250°, measured at the grate. Here's a method that will get you done in six.

Some ribs racks are like that. I typically cook my babybacks for 6 hours when I don't use foil. Yesterday I did 3 racks with dome temps 245-255 for 6 hours on the nose. One rack was perfect and the other 2 could have used a little longer in my opinion. Good, but needed a little more tug to get the meat to release from the bone.

If I use the foil method for babybacks, I shorten my total cooking time to about 5 hours. 3 hours in the smoke, 1.5 hours in foil, and 30 minutes for glazing with sauce. The last time I foiled them for 1.5 hours, the bones were literally falling out of one rack of ribs, so I've shortened the foil time slightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back