Ribs for 35

Wifey wants me to do up ribs for 35 ladies in her church group. They are having chicken and sides also.
How many racks should I do? Can I manage that many on my WSM and Performer?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris in Cameron Park:
Wifey wants me to do up ribs for 35 ladies in her church group. They are having chicken and sides also.
How many racks should I do? Can I manage that many on my WSM and Performer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends what kind of ribs you are cooking, spares or loin backs? Since it's all ladies and there will be other food, I would go with 2 ribs per lady if you're doing spares and 3-4 loinbacks depending on how meaty they are.

You can easily cook enough ribs on your WSM. Here are some pictures of 8 full racks of St. Louis trimmed spares (4 on each rack, cut in half). I could have added 1 more full rack cut in half on each rack.

Spares or backs? I'd consider backs because they are smaller and since there will also be chicken the larger spares don't seem required. You can go either way though. If you'd prefer spares then I would go with a St Louis trim to make them more manageable on the plate and uniform for cooking (cook the trimmings for yourself).

Quantity would depend on the chicken quantity but I'd think 6 or 7 racks of either would be plenty. Cut between the bones into individual ribs for service. No problem doing them on the WSM.

As others said. around 7 racks should be plenty. Each year I host a BBQ with 60 + folks and do 15-16 racks, bushel clams, 20+ lbs chicken, smoked kielbasi, wings, etc and 15 racks (mixed baby and pork) is sufficient for that crowd. 35 Ladies should be fine with 7 racks. (7 fit on the WSM)
Good Luck!

You will need 12 racks to give each person 4 bones, 18 racks for a 1/2 slab which is approx. 6 bones. I think 7 slabs will only allow 2-3 bones person. If you have a few ladies who really like the ribs and take a 1/2 slab anyway, some of the guests will not get any. I learned to err on the side a little too much rather than running out and some people not getting any.

Back