Ribs - do you prefer using foil or none?

I've tried both. I tried to force myself to like the foiled ribs. Cooked it different ways like 3-2-1, 3-1.4-1, 3-1-.5 etc. Yet each time I wasn't really happy with the texture. Then I tried without foil and decided that that was my favorite. Everyone is different, like others have suggested, try one rack with foil and the other without and see what you and your family like best. You may actually find that one likes one way and the other the other. Then you'll have to cook them both ways lol

Thanks Jon, Bob, JL, Enrico, Chad, & Darrell! The anecdotes are great to read, definitely gives me more perspective.

I'm trying my second cook for ribs right now. I'm going to try to put just a few sprays into the foil before wrapping it, because there was a lot of liquid last time when I did the same. I didn't have to add much liquid to get something going. I just want it more tender than I had it last time.

I'm going to try 2.5-~1-1 @ a 275.

Thanks all!

I've tried foil a few times maybe 2 -3 when pressed for time & didn't like the results myself, Always liked letting them get done on there own & iI go for a higher heat cook than most do.

The only time I foil ribs is the rare times we have leftovers. I'll foil what's left and put them on the dash to reheat during the day. Natures microwave! ;)

I went ahead and did a 2.5-1.5-10min pass, and I think the tenderness was much better, especially in the thicker pieces.
I think in the future I need to select cuts that have more fat in the fibers.

However the bite was still chewy, even at a higher temps of 275-300 deg and the sugar, sauce, & honey I added.

It was hard to keep it at 275 so it varied +/-10 degrees most of the time.

Thanks all!

Back