Ribs came out much better thanks to higher temps

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

I have done several runs of BRITU, and they have never completely come out to my satisfaction. I would cook at 225 for five hours or so, (could never get it higher due to water pan), and while they came out OK, they were never fall-the-bone tender like I know they could be.

Well, this time, I decided not to fill the water pan with water- ran with it empty. As a result, my temps were closer to 275 the whole time. The ribs had a nice char on their edges, and as soon as I looked at them, I could see that the meat had nicely pulled back from the bones like I hadn't experienced before.

Eating them confirmed that these were the most tender batch I had turned out to date. I totally credit the higher temps, and for those, I totally credit the empty water pan. Hope this helps the folks who couldn't seem to get their babybacks as tender as they wanted!

You know, last year I did a set of ribs at the start of doing a pork butt as well. Pretty much did the ribs also at 275 and found the same thing. They were more tender and had a nicer smoke ring.

When I did BRITU my first few times, I just kept the temp steady at about 250º. Then I reread the recipe and it calls for turning the heat up at the end. I did this and my ribs are much better. I think ribs do need some heat to finish well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robbie Atkinson:
I believe I read that the Britu method called
for baby backs 2 lbs or less. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Per the BRITU recipe:

Buy pork loin back ribs weighing 2 pounds or less per slab, if possible.

I don't know if it's possible, but I don't even look at the weight of my ribs. I just get the three pack in cryovac at Sams.

all the talk about ribs - yummy I get the same 3 rack pack at Sams - I split the racks and cook at around 250. I find the hotter temp makes them come out better as well. I like it when the meat falls off the bone. Last 2 cooks I tried to cook slower at 225 and they just didn't come out right. Back to higher temps

I once did 6 BRITU racks @ 225 for just 3 people, so as a test we ate the first 3 racks at ~5 hours and pulled off the next 3 at over 6 hours. The first set were great. But the second set, with over 6 hours, were fantastic!

I think you either need the extra time @225 or the higher temps.

Back