Ribs and?

Mike

this weekend i plan on smoking some ribs up. i figure sense i got the smoker going ill do a butt or a brisket. i have only used my WSM once before to do some country style ribs, just to test it out. they came out great keeping the temp was a problem with the wind and cold. this will be my second time on it. it should be around 32 degrees here. what do you guys recommend. butt or brisket? i have never had either but when i do my ribs im not sure what else to cook with them. should i do ribs on top or bottom rack? how much charcol should i use? what cooks best with ribs? i hear about the dripping falling on the foods below but what would you all recomend? would the BRITU work out ok on a butt or brisket to make a good bark? i loved that on my country style ribs when i made them.

The butts I cook--and recommend--are bone-in 7.5-8.5 lbs and are overnight cooks. While you could do a butt overnight and put the ribs on with it the next day, since it's your second cook I'd do the ribs solo. Ribs freeze well so you could do more of them and freeze the extra. That said, if you wanted another meat, sausages are a possibility or, though I'm not a huge fan of them, preferring untrimmed packers, a small brisket flat.

Welcome to the board.

Mike,

Cook a butt! They're a pretty easy cook and very forgiving. Brisket on the other hand is a much more difficult cut of meat to master.

If you're going to cook ribs then start the butt the night before. They need to cook for 12 or more hours on average. The next day you can throw the ribs on top.

As for rubs - BRITU is way too salty for butts and brisket. Try one of the other rub recipes listed on this website. The famous Mr. Brown's has always been a popular rub for butts.

Good luck!

i cant seem to be able to find the Mr. Brown's recipe on this site. do you have a link for it?

While butts are forgiving, ribs are not, imo, which is why I suggested doing them solo. If you choose to do a butt with the ribs, I'd suggest focusing on your what approach you want to take with your ribs first; figure out the butt from there.

I'll vote for doing the ribs solo also. When you get used to the timing of how long different items take to cook, then dive in. You can NEVER cook to many ribs at one time.
icon_biggrin.gif

Maybe toss on some fresh Bratwurst about 2 hours before the end of a cook and a chunk of hickory.
Have fun.

Back