Ribs and Pork Butt at the same time

Mike Carter

I am planning on starting an early morning cook tomorrow with putting on a pork butt at around 6am. Will add 2 racks of STL Spares around 11am. What is the best method to do this? I've never done a two meat cook before. Should I start the butt on top, or on the bottom grate? Is it safe to put uncooked ribs on top of a butt that's been cooking for 5 hours? Should I move the butt to the top when I put the ribs on and leave the ribs on the bottom? So many questions. Any help would be appreciated.

I would start the Butt on the top rack and leave it there. After a few hours, 90% of the dripping will have stopped anyway. Then you later add your Ribs to the lower grate. No problems since they're both Pork. As a plus - since the Butt went on 5 hours earlier, when it's done first just pull it off the top. If you want to then move the Ribs to the top rack, that's fine - but not required.

Others may have different opinions, but i've done it myself and it works out fine.

As far as the time, I guess it depends upon what time you want everything done. The way you're planning, the Butt will definitely be done before the STL Ribs. This is not a problem, as you can foil the Butt when done, wrap it in a bath towel, and stick it in a cooler - and it will hold for a couple of hours if needed.

Back