Ribs and my 1st butt (pics)

Clay Cope

TVWBB Fan
After reading all the posts this past weekend (seemed like everyone was smoking some ribs), there's no way I couldn't throw some BB’s in the smoker. While at the grocery store, I noticed that they had pork roast on sale. I've never cooked a pork roast, but at this price ($1.89/lb), you can’t go wrong. I rubbed both the Ribs and the Butt with Worchestire sauce and Texas BBQ Rub Original, then smoked between 225 and 250.

The ribs were incredible. I tried the 3-2-1 method and it turned out better than expected. In fact, when I went to remove the ribs from the foil for the final hour, I pulled a bone out of the meat. I was really surprised at how “fall off the bone” the ribs had become.

The butt turned out good, but the sandwiches were just okay. Now I see what everyone is always talking about when they say they have a “stubborn butt”. My butt stalled at 160, so I foiled to finish. Right at 4lbs, it took me 8 hours to bring the butt up to 190.

I have a few questions regarding pulled pork. I’m assuming there’s not really a right or wrong, but rather preferences.
- Growing up in Texas, brisket was the choice of meat and I’ve never smoked a Pork Butt. It seemed the flavor really didn’t get into the meat. Sure the rub on the outside was good, but in general the meat seemed pretty bland. Would applying the rub the night before really make any difference?
- Also, after making sandwiches today, I didn’t like having warm meat and a cold or room temperature sauce poured added. Some friends suggested warming the sauce and mixing it in with the meat. I guess I have a mental block and don’t like the fact that you have to apply sauce to a meat I just spent 2 hrs per pound smoking. When I do brisket, no sauce required.
- Also, it was clear to me that the sweet sauce didn’t work with the meat for sandwiches. I’m thinking spicy is the way to go. Do most people prefer a spicy over sweet sauce for butts? (I'm sure it's a preference thing)

Regardless, it was better than any BBQ I can purchase up here. I definitely have a beef preference, but would like to get good with pork. The ribs were incredible, now if I could only get the butt up to par. Here are some pics if interested.

Clay, those ribs look amazing. Nice colour.

I'm far from being an expert, and many others will have more insight than me on this board, but what's the problem with tossing *a bit* of sauce in your pulled pork to moisten it up a little?

I used to be really into the sauce, equating that to good BBQ. Now, I've backed off, but I still like teh stuff. All that said, I would say my preference is for spicy. Like a tomato-based sauce with a bit of chipotle is great on pork.

Clay when I pull pork, I always add rub into the pulled meat while it's warm. If I'm reheating, I'll add a mildly tangy, mildy sweet thin sauce I make, or Apple Juice. You want the sauce to enhance the flavor of the pork you just smoked for hours and hours, not overpower it.

I do not like sweet sweet sauces on pulled pork or brisket either. But if you're in a pinch, you can take most cheap bottled sauces and tweak them with vinegar and additional spices to suit your personal preferences. Or you could buy some really good already vinegary/peppery sauces that are great with pork and brisket such as , Reverend Marvins Gourmet BBQ Sauce, PeeDee River Swamp Sauce, Scotts, Uncle Yammy's or Coles. All are North and South Carolina regional sauces and pretty straight forward, but with their own twists on spices and vineger. They can all be found online if you were interested in them, since I'm not sure you're going to find any in WA.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
Clay when I pull pork, I always add rub into the pulled meat while it's warm. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with Larry. Adding a little rub to the finished product is the way to go. I had probably done nearly a dozen butt cooks before I figured this out (and by "figuring it out" I mean I read about it on this board). Made all the difference in the world. Carries some of the flavor of your rub/bark to every piece of the meat.

Another option that you'll get +/- answers about on this board is injecting the butt before cooking. I have done this several times with Chris Lilly's injection and I am in the camp that feels it makes a difference.

Good luck practicing!

Larry, Lee, that makes sense about adding some rub in while pulling. you both serve with sauce on the side, not mixed in with the meat though?

I have always served the sauce on the side. If you don't, I feel like it turns into the BBQ mush you get at most restaurants.

I have experimented with using a finishing sauce per K Kruger's instructions (still working on it...can't seem to get it right the 2 or 3 times I've done it) but never mix full blown BBQ sauce in the meat.

I think my pulled pork is pretty good, but it's very basic. I use the Best Odds Rub from About.com (this is a great simple rub), put 1/2 hour 12 hours ahead of time, the other 1/2 while the coals are getting ashed over for the MM. Then, I use about 2 teaspoons of rub sprinkled on the pulled meat when done. For smoke, 6 fist size chunks (4 Apple, 2 Hickory for two 8 lb butts). Also, I smoked to 195 degrees, wrap in foil and let it rest for an hour before pulling. I do the 1/2 time flip + apple juice baste, too.

It's simple, easy, and almost automatic. Tastes great, and I've always gotten rave reviews from it. I think the secret is the double rub, and adding a little of the rub in while pulling.

Thanks for the notes Kyle. Very helpful. Just to recap (you had a typo), 1/2 of the rub applied 12 hours before the smoke, then 1/2 the rub while firing up the WSM, then about 2 tsp on the pulled meat. The 2 Tsp on the finished product is enough for two 8lb butts.

I'm on board and only need to get another butt. The good thing, these pork butts are the cheapest thing I've cooked so far.

I'm heading to Texas this weekend. Ordered my dad a WSM and going down to get him going. Should be a fun weekend.

Clay:

I agree with everything people have said, above, but I'll also add that the right sauce can really make those pulled pork sandwiches sing! I never mix it with the meat, but always add a sauce on top of the pork when making my sandwiches. After growing increasingly frustrated with the commercial sauces, which I think are almost universally too thick and sweet, I finally have begun making my own. Little did I realize how easy this is! My base recipe is the No. 5 sauce from this site. Here's the link:

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...0069052/m/2870053653

If you want, this topic goes on for pages and pages, but what you'll find is most people doctor it with flavors they like. I generally begin with sauteing some red onions, and garlic in a little bacon fat, and then add the remaining ingredients as soon as I can smell the garlic. I also usually include a chipotle chile pepper and some chopped dried cherries. I simmer this for about 30 minutes and then strain and bottle it. It's much thinner than most commercial sauces, and has a wonderful vinegary tang which really enhances the pork.

Good luck!

Bill

BTW: nice pics . . . those ribs looked beautiful.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by William Schmitz:
Clay:
My base recipe is the No. 5 sauce from this site. Here's the link:

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...0069052/m/2870053653

If you want, this topic goes on for pages and pages, but what you'll find is most people doctor it with flavors they like. I generally begin with sauteing some red onions, and garlic in a little bacon fat, and then add the remaining ingredients as soon as I can smell the garlic. I also usually include a chipotle chile pepper and some chopped dried cherries. I simmer this for about 30 minutes and then strain and bottle it. It's much thinner than most commercial sauces, and has a wonderful vinegary tang which really enhances the pork.

Good luck!

Bill

BTW: nice pics . . . those ribs looked beautiful. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed! There is nothing better then having your own sauce sitting next to your pulled pork
icon_smile.gif
The number 5 recipe is a great place to start. I also like a very thin sauce for PP, the kind that soaks into the bun a bit. Oh and Clay, $1.89/lb is actually high for pork butts
icon_eek.gif
they usually run ~.99-1.49 where I live, and many people can find them cheaper. Once you master your pulled pork I think it will rivial your beef love.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clay Cope:
Thanks for the notes Kyle. Very helpful. Just to recap (you had a typo), 1/2 of the rub applied 12 hours before the smoke, then 1/2 the rub while firing up the WSM, then about 2 tsp on the pulled meat. The 2 Tsp on the finished product is enough for two 8lb butts.

I'm on board and only need to get another butt. The good thing, these pork butts are the cheapest thing I've cooked so far.

I'm heading to Texas this weekend. Ordered my dad a WSM and going down to get him going. Should be a fun weekend. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

any reason for not the night before, or 24hrs why 12hrs for the rub. do u think beyond 12hrs is 'curing' the pork?

Back