Ribs and mesquite

I made some ribs Sunday and they came out great. I was short of hickory, and I usually a mix of hickory and apple, so instead I used some mesquite. I'd been leery of this since opinion on the board seems to be that it's too strong for ribs, but the flavour ended up great. Of course, I didn't use as much mesquite as hickory, bout four pieces.

Any thoughts?

Michael

I use mesquite often-I have even used it on Ribs. I like it very much but you do want to use less then if you were using hickory or most other woods.
Embrace the Spice
icon_smile.gif

I love my Baby-back ribs smoked with mesquite and I use some wild cherry that I just got a hold of free, too. So its two chunks of mesquite and wild cherry each. I try not to hickory and mesquite together. I love the smell of mesquite while using my WSM, there’s nothing quite like it.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

When I first saw the title, I thought the worst. Glad you liked the ribs and Mesquite combo. As said above, be carefull when using mesq, it can be over-powering. I like it, but only use it for beef a few times a year. I'll do one or two briskets a year and I like it for grilling steaks, and burgers. Used it on a pork Butt once, threw that in the trash.
icon_frown.gif

Back