Ribs and meatloaf at once

maxwell moss

Greetings,
Any tips on doing spares and meatloaf during the same cook? I want them to be done around the same time. Ribs on top, meatloaf on the bottom? Many thanks.

So, Can anyone help on this cook?
icon_rolleyes.gif

I have not attempted this cook, but I could see issues. Meatloaf doesn't strike me as a low and slow kind of cook. I'd be afraid the ground meat base would dry out pretty badly on a 4 hour smoke. I'd expect it to be more like an empty pan 350 degree smoke for an hour or so (based on int temp of course). The ribs, however, would like to run at 225-250 for several hours to achieve quality results.

If you were going to run the meatloaf low and slow, I would put it on the bottom rack and I would make it out of the fattiest grades of ground meat possible (80% hamburger for that portion of the mix) to try to keep it moist. Something about ground meat drippings on my ribs isn't that appealing to me.

Can be done, but you'll have to add the mealoaf at about the four hour cook time for the ribs (assuming you're doing spares). Usually meatloaf will take 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Although I usually cook at a little higher temp (around 275º) I wouldn't worry about the loaf drying out over a 2 hour cook.

I did meatloaf last weekend. Cooked for 2 hours at about 225. You should keep it in the pan for the first 45 minutes or so. After that you can remove it from the pan, but I don't think you have to.

You're going to have to put the loaf on towards the end of the time for the ribs if you want them done at the same time.

Back