Ribs and Butt!

Theron Crowder

I am going to be cooking 3 racks of ribs and a pork butt this weekend. Will it be feasible to put the butt on the lower grate and the ribs on top and still be alright with my temps? Never tried this before, just looking for advice.

May I advise putting the butt on top and ribs on the bottom. You have a lot of room for error w/ butt as compared to ribs. On top, ribs may dry out and over cook. Just my opinion. Good cooking

Theron--

Assuming you are cooking a regular butt, the ribs will take considerably less time. Start the butt on the upper grate and when you're ready to start the ribs move the butt to the lower grate and cook the ribs on top which will allow easier access. Time it so that the butt will be done sometime around the ribs' halfway point (don't go nuts with this; close enough is good enough and you have plenty of leeway since you'll want to rest the butts a while). A bit before the ribs are done, unwrap the rested butt and pull it; keep warm. Finish the ribs, serve all, enjoy. Have fun with it.

I don't have a problem in starting the butt on the bottom rack. It is at a lower temp, but you can compensate by running the pit hotter. Also, I've done plenty of 4 butt cooks with 2 on the bottom. If you do this, you can add the ribs easily at a later point in the cook to the top rack. You're likely going to want to refuel some at that point to accomodate the new heat sink. Advantage, less moving of the meats and temp spikes with the lid off.

On the other hand the long hold time of the butt does give you flexability if you want to start it on the top and have less concern about a cooridinated finish time.

Paul

Back