Ribeye success w/ Argentine rub and NO flare-ups allowed!..

Dave Russell

TVWBB Honor Circle
....per Kevin Kruger's tip of spinning the grate around.
icon_wink.gif

The Argentine rub packet from World Market was part of a gift pack that a friend generously gave me for Christmas. Well, let me tell you what, the stuff was good, and I'm gonna buy some more and maybe try to replicate it. (Any tips on that would be greatly appreciated!)

Anyway, almost two full chimneys worth of Royal Oak lump gave a nice HOT bed of coals for half my OTG, and I put one slender chunk of oak on that side under the grate handle to start smokin while the grate heated up.

No oil, just fast and hot cooking with the lid on, but after flipping all of them, when flames threatened the steaks, I quickly turned the grate around and put the lid on, per Kevin's tip. I got lucky I guess and didn't have to do much probing w/ my Thermapen to decide when to pull all four. (This part, I'm pretty bad about screwing up at.)

Anyway, the rub was the best I've ever tried, but other than not overcooking past med. rare, the ticket in these being probably the best steaks I've ever grilled was not putting up with the flare-ups. I used to think that was just part of it and that it helped the sear. NO, it DOES add a bitter taste! (Thanks, Kevin!)Well, this forum is so cool, and I really appreciate learning stuff about grilling and smoking that I used to take for granted, so thanks to everyone that contribute so much, and put up with my silly queastions and notions.
icon_biggrin.gif

When the mother-n-law can't shut up about how good the steak is, you know you've finally gotten something right.
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Correll:
Congrats on the great steaks Dave!
I agree, this board is just the best! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Bob. Give the Argentine rub a try if you haven't yet.

As it turns out, I might mention that Elizabeth Karmel ( of Hill Country bbq) says basically the same thing about being careful when grilling steaks in her book, "Soaked, Slather, and Seasoned". She actually recommends cooking steaks indirectly the whole time in her Steak 101 recipe so there's no chance of flare-ups, but recommends a direct sear at first for more experienced....and I thought the flames were why it was a man's job. lol....

Cool, Dave. Just noticed this post. I'm glad.

I don't buy pre-mixed stuff - but I will be stopping at the WM in El Paso later today for olives. I'll grab a pack of the rub and help you figure it out so you or others can make it from scratch if you wish.

Congrats Dave - yeah indirect or being able to move to it quickly is the ticket for good steaks. I mostly do indirect with a sear at the end.

Interested in that rub, I'll have to track this one to see Kevin's analysis
icon_wink.gif

Picked some up yesterday. The ingredient list is like a few I make. Nothing out of the ordinary so no issue there. I'll let you know when I open it and take a stab at proportions.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Picked some up yesterday. The ingredient list is like a few I make. Nothing out of the ordinary so no issue there. I'll let you know when I open it and take a stab at proportions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Looking forward to your analysis Kevin.

Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Picked some up yesterday. The ingredient list is like a few I make. Nothing out of the ordinary so no issue there. I'll let you know when I open it and take a stab at proportions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks a bunch, Kevin!

The preliminary run:

2 t black pepper, coarse grind

1.5 t onion flakes

2.5 t Aleppo pepper

1.5 t granulated garlic

,75 t fennel seed

.75 t dried thyme

,75 t dried rosemary

Put the fennel and rosemary in a mortar and grind a bit with the pestle, crushing it well but not powdering it by any means. Add half the black pepper, all the onion, 3/4 or so of the Aleppo, and a little of the thyme and pound and grind a bit to break up some. Stir in the remaining leftovers. Done.

I did not bother with the salt. Not only would I rather salt the meat first, separately, but it is easier to add the salt last, if you'd rather include it in the mix.

I use crushed red pepper for nothing so don't keep it in house. The Aleppo subs for it (and, imo, gives a much better flavor - try it instead) but if you do not have Aleppo and do have crushed red go with 2 t crushed red and crush all of it further in the mortar.

Back