Ribeye/Prime Rib Question

Jason Wayne

TVWBB Fan
The whole bone in ribeye is the same as a prime rib, correct?

Also, which section of the ribeye is preferred? I thought I had read before that certain sections of the whole ribeye were better than other sections. Either from a certain rib bone to another or one end? Thanks for your help!

I apologize, I just found out the difference.

From Kevin Kruger:

"Prime Rib is a rib roast graded prime and rib-eyes are cut off a rib roast irrespective of grade. Though a rib roast should be graded prime to be called "Prime Rib" many people call a rib roast "Prime Rib" even if the grade is 'Choice'. Many butchers cut smaller rib roasts into steaks and leave the larger ones as roasts. Further, many over-trim the steaks rendering them smaller."

OK, so which end or part of the bone in ribeye would I rather have? Does it make a difference?

The small end, which is closest to the loin. If you're looking at numbers, it's the end closest to the 12 rib.

Alright folks, I went to buy one of these today.

The "short end" has short bones and the long end has long bones, according to the folks I spoke with - do I want long bones or short bones?

Crap, I just bought two of the long ends
icon_mad.gif

I knew short end, but remember reading "long bones". Oh well, if I dry age for a week, it should still be good?

The sale price on the rib roast is generally $5.99 in my area vs. ribeyes at $7.99 to $8.99, so i have the butcher cut the rib roast into bone in ribeyes at $5.99/lb and they are awesome. Hard to beat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Oh well, if I dry age for a week, it should still be good? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes. The end you bought is just fine. Some feel it isn't quite as tender (we're talking relative here--it's not raw brisket!) but others prefer the larger size. It's good as is, but dry aging should make it even better.

Thanks Kevin!

I actually froze the large end and I'm going back today for a short end. I plan to dry age it for a week, then cook it on New Years Eve for dinner.

Hopefully it'll turn out great!

The short end has more internal fat, right? Are the short bones large enough to keep it standing?

Never mind what Kevin said, he's lying to you. The meat is worthless, since you bought the wrong end. Vac seal it, freeze it, and send it to Cali, and I'll properly dispose of it.

icon_smile.gif

Back