Rib Tips

Ryan Ko

TVWBB Super Fan
I purchased a case of spare ribs for this weekend (9 racks). I had them cut St Louis style as I have done before. However, this time they cut all the rib tips up for me. That will obviously save me a lot of time, but I am wondering about the cook time. I would have to believe they will cook faster this way. Any ideas? Also, any rib tip recipes would be greatly appreciated. I am going to do the 3-2-1 method on my spares. I normally do loin backs and that method is too long, but I would think with spares it would be pretty close. I don't want them completely fall of the bone, I like them closer to comp style.

Thanks in advance!

Smoke 'em for a couple hours, then simmer them in a foil pan of BBQ sauce. They'll be done after 2.5-3 hours.

Is the 2.5-3 hours the total time or the time in the sauce? Also, so you completely submerge them in sauce or only partially?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryan Ko:
Is the 2.5-3 hours the total time or the time in the sauce? Also, so you completely submerge them in sauce or only partially? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Basically you just cook 'em until they're tender. This takes 45 minutes to an hour in the sauce, so it's 2 hours in the smoker, 45-1 hour in foil pan.

For the sauce, I just kinda wing it based on how many tips I have. They're not completely submereged, probably about 2/3 way covered. Since I usually do this on a grill, I shake the pan and turn the tips often. It lets me play with my fire and food. You can also take them out of the pan and put them on the grill to get a nice laquering effect. Out of the pan, onto the grilll. Rotate constantly, back into the pan. Repeat as desired.

Dr BBQ has a great recipe for rib tips. Use 1/2 bbq and half apple juice. It mellows out the sauce and makes it more liquidy. Also, he switches to the oven for the last bit at around 300 for an hour tops. It's a great way to make a full meal out of rib scraps that are so tasty.

Cook the rib tips for a couple hours. Pick out all the fat and gristle and dice into small pieces. Vacuum seal and freeze. Next time you are making a chili, throw in a bag of rib tips. Trust me, you'll thank me later.

Back