Rib tip question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
Bought some spare ribs for a change and am planning on doing BRITU to them on Tuesday but I had the butcher take off the breast bone making them St Louis style and was wondering on any suggestions on the best way to cook this piece.

Should I cut it into pieces aka rib tips and do it just like BRITU or would it be better as a whole strip and cut after cooking?

Thanks!!

Tom,

I always leave it whole and then shred once it is cooked. That seems much easier. It will be done before the slab so you can munch early.

I prepare exactly the same as the whole slab.

Thanks Kevin,

If your ever driving to Green Bay for a game let me know I live just north of Milwaukee 2 minutes off the freeway!!! Go Pack!!!

Tom

Thanks Kevin for sharing your technique for foiling doing spares on the WSM. Used your technique under 3-2-1 cook thread modifying BRITU with my first spares st louis style and wow what great results. I know Paul Kirk calls foiling the Texas crutch but these turned out fantastic. I cooked for 5.5 hours between 215 and 225. both the spares and the rib tips came out great (the rib tips were really meaty so I did them the same amount of time- is that common?)

I made the sweet and smoky sauce recipie from Steve Raichlens sauces rubs and marinades cookbook. Great sauce recipie very heavy on worsteshire sauce taste. (very typical KC style sauce and very good) He has some good recipies in there.

Still can't get any takers on my questions about saran wrap if anyone uses it on meat in the smoker and if so what brand? (as I saw alot of people using it at the Royal last year).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Raveret:
[qb]Still can't get any takers on my questions about saran wrap if anyone uses it on meat in the smoker and if so what brand?[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I was hoping that someone else with a lot more experience on this point would post, but I'll jump in here if no one else will.

I used Saran Wrap when I did the Pork Butt - Quick Cooked topic. It includes a section discussing the use of Saran during barbecueing.

Regards,
Chris

"Poly Vinyl Film" that is the name of the product and the company, 18 inches by 3,000 feet.

Works fine below 250 gets brittle above 250.

Does not get pin holes from salt like foil when storing food in the fridge overnight.

Foil is not gas permeable and plastic film is.

HTH,

After searching, I found this link and wanted to resurrect this for my question.

I understand the trimming etc., but I need help on the cook time.

I did 2 spares, rolled on the top rack and the tips on the bottom rack like Chris depicts in his tips.

I pulled my tips off after 5:45 minutes. I sampled a piece and it was a little tough. Re-heating them I find the same to be true for all.

I know there is not an exact time frame, but how long do you keep yours on for?

Would foiling them possibly yield a more tender chew?

Would spraying them with AJ help?

Thanks,
~ Sean

foiling would result in a more tender chew yes and a quicker cook (than not foiling). I do spray with AJ and kep temps in the 225-235 range. Hard to be more specific about the time bthey are done when they are done but after you foil you will see a great deal of difference in moisture. See Kevins post today on ribs (I call it a turtoial) and see if that gives you a better idea. You didnt say what temp your cooking at but i'd just extend my next cook a little longer. Without foil I've done some spares that took 7-8 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back