Rib Rub

Gary Donaldson

doing baby backs for the game Sunday, and looking for a new rub recipe. The BRITU is too salty for my taste... any suggestions?

Hi Gary... Costco has a salt free seasoning. I have used on yardbirds, ribs and beef. I am on a "low salt" directive so I have added a bit of salt with better results.

I went to a butcher shop and they had shelves upon shelves of rubs and seasonings.

good luck...

joe

Bad Byrons Butt Rub
icon_wink.gif
Good for everything
icon_biggrin.gif

Just so you know, Byron's has a real spicy kick to it, and I don't know if that's something you're looking for or not.

I've used this one, but it's a little bland (I like lots of flavor but no heat):

3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup kosher salt
4 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons dried rosemary leaves, ground to a powder
1 tablespoon corriander
1-1/2 teaspoons cumin.

I don't put any hot-stuff in there at all, but that's just me. I'm actually looking for something different this season myself. Nice balance of flavors, not too garlicky, with maybe a faint hint of spice but nothing more.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">doing baby backs for the game Sunday, and looking for a new rub recipe. The BRITU is too salty for my taste... any suggestions?

Po </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

any reason why you cant back off on the salt in the recipe? or leave it out entirely and salt the ribs to your liking then apply the rub over it.

I'll second that Bad Byron's has a kick to it. I use it when I'm doing bigger cooks for the office or church or an event or whatever, but when I'm cooking for my family, I use Wolfe Rub Orignal because my wife likes the sweetness. For heat, I'll add a dash of vinegar-based sauce with pepper flakes on my portion when I pull it.

Pat

FWIW, here's my Canada Mike's rub. Considerably less sugar than some others. Heat is very adjustable. I keep it low for the grandbabies, but it can always be added.

3 cup 1/2 cup Turbinado sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup dry mustard
1/4 cup onion powder
1/4 cup garlic powder
1/4 cup Tablespoons dried sweet basil
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1.5 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1.5 tablespoon chilli powder
1.5 tablespoon ground cumin
1/4 cup course salt

Basically, if I'm out of something or forgotten something i don't worry about it. Just don't leave out the cumin or mustard powder.

Cheers,
Canada Mike

Mike, can you clarify the quantity of the first ingredient? You have it as 3 cup 1/2 cup . Is that 3.5 cups of Turbinado sugar?? That sounds like an overly large quantity given the proportion of the other ingredients. Should that read 1/3 to 1/2 ?

Ditto the sweet basil, where you wrote 1/4 cup Tablespoons dried sweet basil.. I'm interested in giving that rub a try and would like to get the proportions down pat.

I'm really interested in a NO SUGAR rub. At the moment I like mixing a few commercial products - Goya Adobo plus some Montreal steak seasoning. But home-made would be even better.

I know I'm in the minority, but my family and I prefer savory to sweet on our ribs. Meat with sugar just isn't all that appealing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Wildrick:
I'm really interested in a NO SUGAR rub. <snip>
I know I'm in the minority, but my family and I prefer savory to sweet on our ribs. Meat with sugar just isn't all that appealing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The sugar isn't there to add sweetness as much as it is to help give a really nice bark on the ribs.

1/4 c ground ancho chile powder
1/4 c ground guajillo chile powder (or a different chile, just use all ancho)
1/4 c sugar, optional
1 Tbl ground cumin
1 Tbl onion powder
1 Tbl dried thyme
1 tsp dried marjoram
1 tsp cayenne
2 Tbl green peppercorns, crushed
1 Tbl ground white pepper
1 tsp celery seed
½ tsp ground allspice
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ginger

Dry the ribs and sprinkle salt on them on both sides. Allow the salt to draw moisture to the surface - 10 min or so. Apply the rub over the salt.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
1/4 c ground ancho chile powder
1/4 c ground guajillo chile powder (or a different chile, just use all ancho)
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin, just wondering how hot or powerful the ancho is? As one who can't eat *anything* hot (not even "mild" Buffalo wing sauce, AKA Franks), is this something I should consider or stay away from?

[/QUOTE]

Kevin, just wondering how hot or powerful the ancho is? As one who can't eat *anything* hot (not even "mild" Buffalo wing sauce, AKA Franks), is this something I should consider or stay away from?[/QUOTE]

Peter, The ancho is just a dried pablano which is just a slightly above a bell pepper. You will probably not notice any heat from it. The guajillo is also quite mild imo.

Ancho is always quite mild, as J notes. It is the chile in most generic 'chili powder'. Guajillo can vary from mild to the milder side of moderate.

A little brown sugar, Rudy's, Head Country, onion powder, garlic powder, and pepper. The brown sugar seems to offset the salty nature of the ribs. By far the best recipe I've come up with..

Back