Rib rub

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
Salt density is very important to keep in mind - here's a little fun story. ;-)

The second time I ever brined anything (a turkey breast), I tried using pickling salt rather than kosher salt. BIG mistake. The same volume (1c) of pickling salt probably weighed about 4 times as much as 1c of kosher salt. That brine was WAY too salty. Luckily it was for me, not for competition or picky relatives.

Plus, I do agree with the many chefs that kosher salt has a more pleasing, less "harsh" taste than normal table salt. Ground sea salt also has a nice taste, and you can coarse-grind it to get large crystals - still heavier than kosher flakes, though.

And my esteemed colleague John L is right - Smokin' Guns is a fine tasty rub, from a very successful team with a great little joint in North Kansas City. I just prefer the Squeal (personally), but their stuff is muy bueno.

Salt is an important component, just like Jim mentions - one of it's important functions is as a "flavor enhancer," it just makes good food taste better. MSG is very similar, but more controversial. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Dwain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back