Rib Rub Question

Bryan Klinck

When applying rubs to ribs (e.g. for BRITU or Sugarless Texas Sprinkle), do you folks apply the rub to both sides of the ribs, or just the meat side? I would think just the meat side, but I have been wrong about such things before.

Ditto.

I like a fair amount of rub on ribs as I serve them dry, sauce on side. I make my rubs without salt so that I can apply as much as I'd like without fear of oversalting. I salt the meat separately first and as I make the rub the meat moistens. Then I rub over the salt.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by craig castille:
I pull the membrane off, then apply rub to both sides. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have done it either way (the rub question), and it doesn't really matter to me, but the membrane has to go!
icon_biggrin.gif
It makes such a big difference.

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like "both sides" is the general consensus.

Jon - nice sig, but there is no e in tasty.
icon_rolleyes.gif

I hate to admit it but I never even thought of putting it on the back side. I pull the membrane turn it over and apply the rub. That explains why when I make the Britu rub and do 3 slabs I have almost half of the rub left over for the next time.

Next time I do ribs I am definately going to do both sides.

Back