Rib roast questions

i did a boneless rib eye roast yesterday. 17 pounder took about 3 1/2 hours at 250 to hit 125 internal. let it rest for 30 minutes and it was OMFG perfect. great rosy pink inside but fully cooked. I did cheat and do it in the oven as it was raining off and on and the family didn't want it done in the smoker.

John, that works out to a little over 12 min/lb. Wow, super fast cook at 250 degrees. Can't argue with success.

Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mk evenson:
John, that works out to a little over 12 min/lb. Wow, super fast cook at 250 degrees. Can't argue with success.

Mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

letting it sit at room temp (for about two hours) makes a big difference. some may not agree with letting it come to room temp but i find i get better results that way

Like an earlier poster said, just cook it to desired doneness by monitering internal temp. It's already tender. My 22 likes to hum along at 275 deg and I get a nice exterior w/o any additional searing, etc. Typically just salt, pepper,a single piece of pecan smoke wood and Kingsford.

I recently bought two whole boneless at Costco for our annual Carnivore Party (over 16 lbs each). Cut each into three 5 to 6 lb'ers. Cooked four on my 22 and two on a friend's 18. Put them on at different times so I had a variety of "doneness" available at dinner time.
They really are hard to screw up unless you over or under cook to your desired doneness.

Randy

Back