Rib Roast on the Roti

Alan F

TVWBB Pro
Picked up a nice rib roast. Cut the fat off, trussed it as round as possible, rubbed with Meathead's Cow Crust and let it sit for a few hours.

It turned out to be a faily annoying cook- struggled with temps and dodged some unpredicted rain. The key to using the roti is temp control and today I tried using a lot less charcoal than usual. The goal was 300f and 16 briquettes of KB only got it to about 225 so I added lump a few times to increase temps. What should have taken about an hour almost took three. I think the key to good temp is starting with 1/3 of a chimney and closing the bottom vents back to lower temp and extend burn times. Had a small chunk of pecan on the coals.

The roast turned out well but next time will go easier on the rub.

1_zpsc09677dd.jpg

2_zps88aefc01.jpg

3_zps86c50142.jpg

4_zpsc26b693a.jpg

5_zps7d19e6f3.jpg

6_zps97666d4b.jpg

Fantastic looking roast Alan, nice crust on the outside and still rare in the middle, just the way I like it!!

Alright, that's it, I'm busting out the Weber rotisserie. I gave the rotisserie to my dad as a birthday gift many years ago, but it's just sitting around gathering dust. After seeing Alan's terrific looking rib roast, I can't take it anymore...gotta fire up the rotisserie ASAP.

Beautiful before, during and after photos Alan... I'd say you did dam good despite an extended cook time....
Looks TERRIFIC!

Alright, that's it, I'm busting out the Weber rotisserie. I gave the rotisserie to my dad as a birthday gift many years ago, but it's just sitting around gathering dust. After seeing Alan's terrific looking rib roast, I can't take it anymore...gotta fire up the rotisserie ASAP.

Bust it out Jerome! Alan, great lookin' roast. Nice rescue from the challenge.

Back