Rib Roast and Sides

DaleW

TVWBB Pro
Our local grocery (Vons) had rib roasts on sale early in the week for Thanksgiving shoppers, but I didn't take advantage. I went in Saturday afternoon and I saw the butcher stocking the shelves. I asked him if any rib roasts were left. He pointed me to the last one, about 5.8 pounds. He said, "it doesn't look very good, so I'll give you 50% off if you want it." Hell, yes!

Here it is trimmed and rubbed with Kosher salt, pepper, granulated garlic, onion powder, and fresh rosemary.
img0306sh.jpg

Blooming onions prepped with S&P, garlic powder and a pat of butter in the CIS.
img0307ob.jpg

Rib roast at 125F and off, resting. Cooked at about 325 with some hickory smoke. I'm not sure why I didn't get any pics on the grill. Well, yes I am. I was on the phone with Time Warner dealing with Internet issues ....
img0308kp.jpg

With the rib roast off, I added some mushrooms to the grill joining the onions.
img0309sd.jpg

Mushrooms almost done.
img0310ix.jpg

Rib roast sliced into steaks.
img0311qb.jpg

Table set with a Bordeaux.
img0313vv.jpg

My older son made short work of this table! Thanks for looking!

WOW, I'm ready...I'll bring some of my home made horseradish....hot hot hot. How lon on the rib cook, and did you go indirect all the way...Dave

Dale, It looks beautiful. My wife just asked if I could do a roast for Christmas. So now I know what to do. Thanks.

WOW, I'm ready...I'll bring some of my home made horseradish....hot hot hot. How lon on the rib cook, and did you go indirect all the way...Dave

Hi Dave. I had a remote probe in it and went by temperature rather than time. Pulled at 125 and I think it took almost 2 hours for the 5.8 pound roast. After resting, it likely went up to 130 or so. Yes, indirect all the way. I considered a sear, and I think that might have been good. For a piece of meat this thick, I use a reverse sear. When I do that, I cook indirect to an internal between 110 and 115F then sear. That usually takes it to 125 and resting provides a carryover to a nice medium rare.

Back