Rib racks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank M

TVWBB Member
I figure this has to have been a much-discussed topic, but darned if I couldn't find much of it in searching through the archives.

What's the best rib racks to get? I've seen the Charbroil racks at the orange box, but they look like they only hold 3 slabs. I've also seen racks at Menards, but they look to be very light weight and have a black coating that looks like it'll flake off in no time.

I found these on the web. They look to be nice and heavy duty, but not cheap. Anyone here bought one?

Any and all comments welcome.

The general consensus is the Char-Broil ones are better than the Webers. I have the Weber racks and they kind of suck.

Weber: Fewer weld points and curved wires make cleaning easier.
CharBroil: Higher capacity, cheaper than most others, but a royal PITA to clean.

I have 2 sets of the charbroil racks.
I think they were around $8.00 at Lowes, and they have handy tator prongs on the sides.
I really like them.

I will agree that the Charbroil fit the bill in holding meat, and good on price- -but you can cut your hands to shreds trying to clean them.

I think next time, I am going to soak it in hot sudsy water, rinse well and let dry, and that's about it. just mainly go for disinfecting, and not trying to get off the smokey residue. too hard.

The Webers are just fine for baby backs, but I find that they're a little too low for spares (especially since I'm lazy and don't trim 'em down to a respectable size).

But they do the job, if you're feeling cheap.

Gator Pits has come out with a stainless steel rib rack that holds five slabs of ribs, just think ten racks of ribs on a wsm. I've got two on order. Remember you get what you pay for.

Wade G.--

I have both the Weber and the Charbroil, and I like the Charbroils because of the capacity. As for cleaning, we spray them with regular Pam before using and my wife simply puts them in the dishwasher after we use them--they come out looking like new. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'd like to see the Gator Pit ones.

Tom

I have one charbroil rack. Bought it for under $10 a couple years ago. Don't like it. It does not handle two racks of spares well. The tator prongs are worthless (unless you like smoked tators).

Klose is also selling rib racks. Nothing fancy, but they're built like tanks. You'll be passing them down right alongside grandma's cast iron skillets!

Just about any racks will do, I think mine are the Weber or Charbroil brand. As mentioned above, cleaning them can be rough on the hands, but I put them in the dishwasher, bottom rack, and they come out spotless.

While these larger racks can hold a lot of ribs, the WSM really is challenged with holding full slabs of ribs beyond the middle 2 or 3 positions. My racks have space to hold 7 slabs if I really want to squeeze them together, but, I usually put 2 full slabs in the middle and half slabs on the outer position. Gives me 3 slabs per rack, two racks, allows me to cook 6 slabs at once.

Dale

Frank.......

Here is my write-up on rib racks and how I increase the WSM capacity with them.

The CharBroil rack is the least expensive and you can fit more ribs in them. I have both the Weber rack and another that is very similar. I never use them anymore.

For under $10, the Charbroil may look cheap but I have now catered many events over the past couple years using 4 of them and they have held up quite well.

As for cleaning, a trip into the dishwasher is all that is needed.

Stogie's Rib Racks

I just sold my Weber ribrack, cuz I never do babybacks, always do spares. The charbroil one with tater racks may be the same one as the 2 I now use, which I got from Cabelas.com for $10 each.

Using the tater racks as a "slot", you can fit 7 sparerib halves on each rack...so top and bottom grates can hold 7 racks of spares total, and that's before doing any leaning or laying on of loose slabs like some do (I don't like to do that).

You guys with the Charbroil racks... are you deforming them to make additional "slots"? In glancing at them at the store, it looks to me like they were designed to hold just 3 racks, plus 2 more if you use the tater holders as a slot (a good idea I probably wouldn't have thought of). But Stogie's pictures definitely show 7 racks across.

Those gatorpit racks look to me to be too big for the WSM-- plus I imagine they're not cheap.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Frank M:
[qb] You guys with the Charbroil racks... are you deforming them to make additional "slots"? In glancing at them at the store, it looks to me like they were designed to hold just 3 racks, plus 2 more if you use the tater holders as a slot (a good idea I probably wouldn't have thought of). But Stogie's pictures definitely show 7 racks across.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Check out Stogie's page, above, for pictures. Basically, you put ribs in between the racks, allowing for 7.

All,

I got a quote for the Gator racks. He has designed some specifically for webers.

Dimensions: aproximately 14" long x 10" wide x 5 1/2" height

Cost: I was quoted $89.99 plus around $20.00 S&H

I could buy another WSM for the cost of two of those. That's to rich for my blood.

I use the Klose Stainless Steel Racks they are around $25 each. The Weber and Charbroil are NOT stainless. They work well and don't rust /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back