Rib question

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm smoking for the first time Sunday and I'm using food I already had in the freezer. I've got a small brisket that I'm going to put on the top rack, I figure around 4-5 hours, but I'll just put a meat thermometer in it and wait for 180. I've also got some pork spareribs that my mother-in-law seperated (so not racks, just individual ribs) and marinated in a very spicy korean marinade. Do you think if I load up the bottom rack with the loose ribs they'll take as long as racks of ribs, or less time because they're loose? I'm hoping I can tell, and that they'll just be done around the time the brisket's done.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
MC

You didn't say what the brisket weighed. Still, 180 doesn't sound hot enough to me, not unless you want to slice the meat really thin.
I'd go for 190 to 195, then test for doneness by inserting a long skewer or probe. It should slide in and out easily.

As far as the ribs. I don't think they cook much faster cut apart than as a slab. I do think that individual ribs might dry out. I'd wait till after they were done before cutting them.

Even a small brisket can take 8 to 10 hours, it takes that kind of time to break down the collagen. The spares leave whole (St Louis trim if you wish), takes 6 to 8 hours. This is cooking at 225 to 250? pit temp.
As Richard said 190 to 195? on the brisket at least and the ribs aprox 185? internal temp.
jim

I would be curious to know what constitutes a small brisket. I bought a very small brisket to get my feet wet - weighs only 1.7 lb. How long can I expect this to cook? I was planning to do it at the same time as some baby backs.

Picante Monty
most small flats will be 5 to 7 pounds and did think you could find one under 2 pounds.
Hours per pound is not the test on a brisket of that size you will need to go by internal temp.
Jim

Thanks for the tips so far. As I mentioned, the ribs are already cut apart. My mother-in-law is Korean and marinates meats for me and sends them home in zip-locs to freeze. The brisket is very small, probably only a couple pounds, and is marinated in soy sauce, scallions, some other common asian spices, and the ribs are pork spares, already cut apart, marinated in hot bean paste and garlic.

I'm gonna just put it all on at 6am and hope it's done by half-time of the Giants game :c)

MC

MicroChip, your Korean marinated brisket and ribs sound good, let us know how they turn out.

I wonder if some of these small briskets are actually corned beef briskets?

Ok, it's 7:15, ribs are on the bottom rack, brisket's on the top rack. I've got a full tray of charcoal using basically the minion method and just water in the water try. I added 4 chunks of well soaked applewood just after I put the meat on.

Oh and don't hate me, I don't have a Weber Bullet, I have a Brinkman Cookin' Cajun II. It was free. My dad bought it like 3 years ago, never used it, and I just inherited it, like new. I seasoned it last weekend with just vegetable oil and a half tray of charcoal. This is my first time with food on it.

I'll keep you guys posted on my smoked Korean pork ribs and beef brisket.

MC

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MicroChip:
[qb]Oh and don't hate me, I don't have a Weber Bullet, I have a Brinkman Cookin' Cajun II.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>No problem, all are welcome here. Hope everything turned out well.

Regards,
Chris

Well everything was delicious. The brisket was very tasty, and not too dry. The ribs did dry out a little because they were seperated from racks, but they were still good, and wicked spicy. My guests had never had bbq before, so they thought everything was burnt when it came in, but after getting over the look of smoked food, they realized it wasn't and pigged out.

MC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back