Rib question

Stu M.

TVWBB Fan
Hello all,

My BRITU ribs are taking up to 7hrs, I feel just too long... I maintained good consisitent temps (230-250)and then ramp it up a bit the last 1 1/2 hr throughout the cook, the fire was good and hot and the wood was flaming before I put on the middle section, let it heat up and loaded the ribs (by the way loin backs). I just can't get them to pass the "pull test" after what I think should be long enough (5-6hrs) Put the ribs on at 6:15am this morning, it's now 1:03p and there still not tender enough to take off. This has happen twice this weekend. What am I doing wrong? The longer there in the WSM they develop more of a "char" look rather than a nice dark reddish brown, which gives the impression too many that there burnt, which there not. ...Help please!

Stu

The most common first thing to check is the relative accuracy of the thermometer (boiling water test). Also important to consider, once accuracy is verified, is where in the cooker temp being measured, and how does that translate to the temp at the cooking grate, e.g. 230-250° at the dome is more like 215-235 at the top grate.

Do they eventually pass the tear test? If so, bring your temp up. As Doug indicated, you may only be cooking at about 215°.

I thought I was OK on temp. My lid temp was pretty consisitent at 250 the entire time. Now I'm re-thinking my dome temp and bumping it to 270ish. Probabbly the thing to do is get myself a better quality therm. By the way Jerry, yes they did finally pass the "tear test". To speed things along (because I was cooking for a family function with a deadline), I made a foil boat with apple juice, wrapped the ribs tightly in the foil and put them back on then up'ed my temp quite a bit. That got them to finish. They were very good. Just don't like pushing the envelope on time like that. I think you guy's are right, I was probably cooking at 215-225, but thinking I was in the 250 range. Thanks for your responses.

By the way I got a lot of great comments on the ribs and my BBQ sauce.

Stu

Stu,
Next time you cook, check the cal on your thermometer. As the pit is coming up to temp, lay your hand on the lid. See what 200, 225 and 250 deg "feels like". If you can hold your hand on the lid for 5 seconds, you need more heat. For me, 3 seconds is a good cooking temp. I rarely use a thermometer anymore. Your hand will never lie like a cheap thermometer will.

Back