Rib Question

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

My brother-in-law and I had a discussion about smoking temps. He said he'd read somewhere that the ideal temp for smoking ribs is lower (around 190 degrees) than for butts. What do ya'll have to say about that? He fancies himself somewhat an expert.....

If anyone wants to get up earlier or eat later, they can cook that low if they wish. I'm not saying it's the wrong thing to do, but I've yet to receive any complaints about the ribs I cook at an average of 35-40* higher.

I've always cooked my ribs between 225 - 250.
They've always come out excellent and take
between 4 -5 hours. I would guess you'd only
be adding cook time for no apparent benefit.

I was a helper at the Paul Kirk class this past weekend in Concord, CA. Paul touched on this point during the class. He said lots of folks suggest barbecuing 180-200*F, but it can be hard to maintain those low temps in many pits. He feels 230-250*F is easier to maintain in most pits, and that's the range he recommends.

Regards,
Chris

Hi Kev and welcome!

After watching and cooking with the best MIM and KCBS teams over the last 6 years I will stick with my 225?.

Besides, a done rib will measure around 195-200?, so almost impossible to get to that temp if your pit is only 190?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back