Rib Question, meat not coming off bones

Joe P

TVWBB Member
I've made spares and bbacks a few times. I haven't been successful in cooking them to my liking. When I think they're done, the meat does not really come off the bone like I've had out at a few rib joints. What am I doing wrong? I cook for about 5 hours or more at at 230-250. I have not foiled.

Foiling with a little apple or pineapple juice will certainly help you get the meat falling off the bone ribs. Check out the 3-2-1 method.

Al

Joe,
Without foil, 5 hours is on the short side. If what you are getting tastes good and is not dry, you just need to cook them longer and learn how to let when the ribs are done. If you don't know what the "tear test" is then do a search and do some reading. Basically, you're pulling the bones apart and seeing if the meat will come off the bone. Others can tell doneness with a tookpick.

Have you done the BRITU recipe? If not, you might want to try that. One thing I've learned is that ribs can do better with a little more heat. Notice how the BRITU brings the heat up 25° to 50° after 3 hours. I was skipping that step at first but once I did that, the ribs turned out better.

Foil will get the meat falling of the bone, but I do not like the way it makes the ribs and I'm lazy so foiling the ribs is an extra step I can do without.

I think you should try cooking your ribs longer and until you see the meat pull away from the bones..depending on the type of ribs and the conditions this could be 4 to 7 hours, with ribs you need to cook by the look of the meat and not necessarrly the time

Smokey J's BBQ

I have never foiled ribs, and I do cook them for about 7 hours. This is at a low heat, 225-240. I prefer spares, as they have more meat, but also baby backs require the same amount of time I've found.

You can tell by looking at them, pull apart if you need to, but the edges will curl up away from the bone, and it may look dry, but mine never are.

Thanks for all the information. I now realize I have not cooked long enough. Will try to be more patient next time!

Joe, I use the BRITU recipe but in the last hour I foil with apple juice and a small amount of butter 45 minute then put them back on the grill the last 15. Joe they will be falling off the bone. Some people say they might be too tender. I say Ya right too tender you will love them and I think 5 to 5-1/2 hours is enough.

Mike

I am not a fan at all of fall-off-the-bone 'tender'--to me that is overdone. You can get beautifully done, tender ribs by cooking long enough. The meat bites off the bone and is moist and tender but does not fall off the bone. For fall-off-the-bone, foiling is fairly essential. I foil for most rib cooks (I do spares) but do not foil long enough to cause the meat to go past the tender stage.

Try cooking longer first. A pick or probe inserted between the bones will go in with virtually no resistance when the ribs are done, when they are tender. If I foil I pull them at that point, unfoil, then return the ribs to the smoker for just a few minutes to firm up. If I do not foil I pull them at that point, rest a few minutes, cut and serve.

If you foil, then leaving the ribs in the foil for a while past the point of tenderness will get you to fall-off-the-bone. If you do not foil then most often the ribs will simply overcook to dryness.

I have found that foiling ribs make them very tender and "fall off the bone-ish", sometimes too much so - especially using 3-2-1. You have to remember that each cook is going to be different because conditions will be different. That includes weather, quality of meat and how the cooker and fuel is responding that day. Sometimes 3-2-1 works great, other times you may have to adjust to a 2-2-1 or maybe even a 3-2-2. The biggest thing that I have learned thus far is that you *MUST* know your cooker(s) so that you can adjust your techniques when necessary.

If you are using foil, be careful not to keep them in the foil too long or they will simply fall apart. Yes, they will taste good, but presentation also contributes to good taste and the overall eating experience.

If you are not using foil, don't forget to mop-baste or spray-baste periodically throughout the cook to keep the meat tender and tasty.

These are just my thoughts and I hope they are helpful.

Tony

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
I am not a fan at all of fall-off-the-bone 'tender'--to me that is overdone. You can get beautifully done, tender ribs by cooking long enough. ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I completely agree with Kevin. "Fall-off-the-bone" shouts "BOILED RIBS" to me, even if they never got near any water. I want my meat to ressemble meat, not McRibs.

Jim

I agree with the comments on getting the ribs TOO tender using foil. I use it for a short time, maybe 30 minutes when doing spares. however, I think lots of folks really like that "fallin'" off the bone thing. I remember Stogie posting that in all the catering he had done using ribs, he'd never had anyone complain about ribs being too tender but had complaints from the other direction.

Paul

Back