Rib Problems for a Rookie WSM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Is there a problem with food being in the smoker at that low a temp for that long a time other than the finishing time may be extended? No food safety issues?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've understood the danger zone for meat temp to be between 40 and 140 for 4 hours. I do not believe that would present a problem when MM is used with the conventional slow start of 15 or so coals; however I have never tested the internal temp of the meat at the 4 hour point to actually see.

I've always depended on Doug D, who is very saftey conscoius, to guide me right in this area , and I've never heard him raise a concern.
icon_smile.gif

Paul

Actually, it's the surface temp of the meat you need to be concerned with in regards to the 'danger zone', not the internal. For food with orifices, like fowl, or food where bacteria might have been introduced to an interior area, as with hamburger, meatloaf, injected meats, et. al., getting the interior of the meat above 140 in less tha 4 hours would be important.

I used to have a problem with bringing the temps up using charcoal and the MM but I've adjusted the way I do it and now it works like a charm.

Here's what I do for all cooks over 3 hours. Place my wood chunks first. Then fill the ring with charcoal more or less depending on how long the cook will be. Fill the chimney up to the top (I don't count the number of briquets) and fire it up. Wait till it's gray and screaming hot. Pour the coals into the ring and spread the coals out evenly. Let it sit for a minute or so to build up the heat. Put together the WSM with the meat and hot water (or sand) and all vents wide open. Watch the lid temps rise to about 240 then close the bottom vents. Keep an eye on the temps for about 30 minutes while the fire settles and the water begins to boil. This is where I notice the greatest fluctuation in temps. Play with the vents if you see major changes in temps (10-15 degrees). Keep in mind that vent changes take about 10/15 minutes to take affect.

Or you can just try using lump. That stuff burns hotter but it has it's own set of quirks. I guess the key is playing with it to figure out how your WSM works. That's part of the fun!
icon_smile.gif

My take on cuts like pork butts is that-- given that proper food handling practices are observed-- it's only the surface that's subject to contamination. Although the internal temperature may remain between 40 and 140° for periods close to , or even somewhat over the danger zone maximum, the surface will not be.

(Kevin either types faster, or is just sitting in his truck somewhere waiting to be unloaded, and has no office distractions.)

I am having the exact same problem as John. Hopefully, we'll get this figured out. I plan to try again tomorrow. What I'll do is get the temperature up higher (let's say 320 or so) before closing the vents and adding the ribs.

Let's see what happens.

Lloyd

Lloyd,
Try putting the guest of honor on when you put the WSM together, and control the temps on the way up if you haven't tried that yet. Hope you can get her figured out soon!

Back