Rib Hanger on 18” vs 22” WSM

Thanks..

I did not have the firedial at the time (still experimenting with this). I have not had any issues with the ribs falling off. I mainly go for getting the bark where I want it and pull them off the hanger and put the grate back in. Wrap with butcher paper to finish them off. Using this method avoids that possibility of an accidental drop and overcooking.. Well, If for some reason I did lose one, I would just knock off the ashes and eat it anyway.. LOL. So far no major accidents ... ;)

I want to add a rib hanger to my WSM 18. Going back and forth between the Gateway and the Hunsaker.

For the smaller 18 barrel, I think the straight bars on the Gateway would be a simpler and more space efficient layout. Looks like the circular layout of the Hunsaker would provide more capacity when used in the bigger 22 barrel.

But I'm concerned if the Gateway (which looks a little lower) would provide enough clearance to hang full slabs above the coals. Presumably either model would have enough clearance to work fine in the taller 22 unit.

My goal is to do up to six full length slabs without having to cut in half. The tape measure tells me that the 18 has 16 inches from the top of the charcoal ring up to the top cooking grate. Which is right around how long a SL slab measures. So it seems like an inch or two of height either way could matter.

What do other 18-ers use?

Last edited:
I am in the same boat and leaning more towards the Hunsaker and combining it with their vortex plate. The Hunsaker one also appears to sit ~3-4 inches above where the top of the stock grates would sit so that should add some additional clearance so that full racks would fit.

Unfortunately the exact height of the Hunsaker is not provided on their website but I imagine they would be able to answer that question via email.

You can do 5 racks successfully on the upper grate with just the Weber rib rack accessory and throw another one on the bottom grate thereafter if you are after 6. Note that you will have to trim them down from slightly to match the curvature of the upper grate. (17"/16"/16"/14"/14")

Last edited:
Hunsaker says their rack is 5.5 inches high. Seems like that should be high enough to work.

If the open fire is too much, I'd plan to use my FireDial diffuser (which is flat) sitting right on top of the coal ring. You might lose an inch or two of clearance with the fan blades of the Vortex plate.

Last edited:
Here's a couple of posts I did on using a gateway hanger/fire dial combo in my 22" WSM. I hung the fire dial with stainless steel chains so it's an inch or two over the top of the charcoal basket. I sort of like it that way because it's easy to add wood chunks by lifting the fire dial with a gloved hand, and I had flare up issues on my first hanging rib cook without the fire dial. Of course you can lay the FD on top of the charcoal basket, but it's fun to overthink and over-do things.;)

Thanks John. Over think/do is what we do!

So is your experience that you definitely need some kind of diffuser when the ribs are just a few inches away from the fire?

Love the Gateway hanger in my 22 WSM! Here's a video I did of my first cook on my WSM on my channel...and it just so happens I used the Gateway hanger! Most of the questions above answered within, I think.

I have the gateway hanger for the 22, it's very strong and quality piece of equipment, I've used it to hang ribs and they come out very well, no burning at the bottom, does not interfere with the lid.
YMMV with an 18 but it should be fine.

Apparently the hangers are a little cheaper, with free shipping from Target, then from Gateway...
Wonder why Gateway only offers the 22" version through retailers like cabelas and target, but not their 18.5"? Other than that leaning toward Hunsaker just for the 1" taller clearance. Five inches tall... anyone with Hunsaker for their 18.5" WSM mind measuring the dia. of the smaller top ring, and thickness of SS wire/rod used? 1/8"?

Also, those who've used gateway/hunsaker, lava & others, who would you say has the best hanging hooks?

Wonder why Gateway only offers the 22" version through retailers like cabelas and target, but not their 18.5"? Other than that leaning toward Hunsaker just for the 1" taller clearance. Five inches tall... anyone with Hunsaker for their 18.5" WSM mind measuring the dia. of the smaller top ring, and thickness of SS wire/rod used? 1/8"?

Also, those who've used gateway/hunsaker, lava & others, who would you say has the best hanging hooks?

I'd recommend this one.

Look at the height and clearance on this baby

Looks great! I notice the firedial with the chicken but not the ribs? Also, have you had any issues with the ribs getting tender enough to break free and fall?
thanks,
I have the hunsaker hanger and would highly recommend.

Ive only had ribs fall once. The first or second time I used it. I was doing unwrapped and cooked them too tender. I then started putting a grate under but never had another rack fall. I don’t grate under anymore I’m also always wrapping my ribs these days
I Always go 1 hook about 2 ribs in

I’ve also hung beef ribs with no problems

Back