Rib Hanger on 14.5

Dick Buchanan

TVWBB Member
Over 4th of July I smoked three racks of spare ribs using a LavaLock rib hanger. Lavalock was the first rib hanger I found that fits the 14.5 so I ordered it and was very happy with the results. Although, it was a tough cook due to weather (first temp in 90's and then a torrential rain which lasted quite a while) the ribs came out great--falling off the bone, which is slightly overdone but enjoyed by my guests. I covered ribs with yellow mustard and sprinkled with lemon pepper and garlic powder. I used Kingsford Original charcoal. Filled the the charcoal chamber 1/2 and put a large chunk of hickory in the middle and added about 8 live coals. No water pan. Ribs were cut in half giving me six half ribs hanging. There was not much room between ribs and charcoal but it was good enough. Smoked ribs 3 hrs, at mostly 250 measured with probe stuck through grommet. Removed ribs and foiled for 45 - 60 minutes and then finished them off on top grate brushed with a little a my own secret sauce. This all took about 5 hours and the charcoal still had life when I took ribs off. Sorry, I did not take pictures but next time will use same procedure and photo the steps--assuming I can figure out how to post photos. Long story short--smoker performed great and rib rack gave me plenty of room to do three racks--cold easily do 4 racks.

Over 4th of July I smoked three racks of spare ribs using a LavaLock rib hanger. Lavalock was the first rib hanger I found that fits the 14.5 so I ordered it and was very happy with the results. Although, it was a tough cook due to weather (first temp in 90's and then a torrential rain which lasted quite a while) the ribs came out great--falling off the bone, which is slightly overdone but enjoyed by my guests. I covered ribs with yellow mustard and sprinkled with lemon pepper and garlic powder. I used Kingsford Original charcoal. Filled the the charcoal chamber 1/2 and put a large chunk of hickory in the middle and added about 8 live coals. No water pan. Ribs were cut in half giving me six half ribs hanging. There was not much room between ribs and charcoal but it was good enough. Smoked ribs 3 hrs, at mostly 250 measured with probe stuck through grommet. Removed ribs and foiled for 45 - 60 minutes and then finished them off on top grate brushed with a little a my own secret sauce. This all took about 5 hours and the charcoal still had life when I took ribs off. Sorry, I did not take pictures but next time will use same procedure and photo the steps--assuming I can figure out how to post photos. Long story short--smoker performed great and rib rack gave me plenty of room to do three racks--cold easily do 4 racks.
As another 14 owner I would love to see pictures your next time out, that sounds like one awesome cook!

As another 14 owner I would love to see pictures your next time out, that sounds like one awesome cook!

Ditto. My wife loves ribs and I would love to be able to cook enough to have guests over too. As it is, I think I could only get 2 racks of spare ribs on the 14 without resorting to a rib rack and I don't know how well that would do when wrapping with liquid using the 3-1-1 method.

Ditto. My wife loves ribs and I would love to be able to cook enough to have guests over too. As it is, I think I could only get 2 racks of spare ribs on the 14 without resorting to a rib rack and I don't know how well that would do when wrapping with liquid using the 3-1-1 method.
Lee,
So I have a makeshift system that I can get four racks of spares on my WSM 14. When I got my 14 WSM used I though the grates were beyond repair so I ordered two of these to replace them. While after finding this site I learned the original grates just needed a good cleaning, so now I have 4 racks. The two replacements work really well as a top rack, but it is tough to use it alone as a bottom rack as it is a touch too big. However, two times over the last month I have used them to create a "four rack system" to do a modified 3-1-1 method to do 4 racks of spares. I place the standard bottom rack in (you know with the handles) with 2 half racks of spare ribs, then I lay the below "replacement grate" at a 90 degree angle on the handles of the bottom rack, it takes a little working. I place another 2 half racks of spares on that grate. Then I do the same thing with the original top grate and the second replacement grate. I let them go at 250 for 2 and a half hours open, then I wrap them and just used the two original grates while wrapped. Then I open them up out of the foil sauce and put back together the original system for 30 ish min to set the sauces. It it a little (a lot) of a pain, primarily because of that bottom replacement grate being a touch to big, doing 3 racks and only adding a replace grate on top the top grate would be much easier. I got two racks of spare ribs to go on tomorrow, I will take some pictures of the above set up and post them in this thread.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WEKNXI/?tag=TVWB-20

Very nice! I have a Hunsaker rib hanger for my 18.5” WSM. Recently, I smoked 6 racks of St. Louis cut ribs. 2 packs from Costco. Did a brown sugar pepper rub on them. Smoked with hickory and Royal Oak lump. They came out really nice, with a nice smoke ring. That sugar rub made the smoke ring really pronounced.

20200722_112118.jpg20200722_112130.jpg20200722_112238.jpg20200722_112228.jpg
Above are some pictures of my makeshift 4 rack system I am going to go for it with wings for the next big gathering, if we ever get to do that again you know gather...

Back