Rib Glaze

Originally posted by Bryan S:
Chris, This one is different but good. You can switch out different sodas and jams and really get creative with it. My next one will be orange soda (Fanta) orange marmalade and fresh ginger. But as you'll read in that thread I'm not sure the Soy belongs in there. At least for my tastes anyway. Cherry cola glaze.

have you made this citrus ginger glaze yet?

Originally posted by K Kruger:
These, from last night. I ended up doing a glaze of pineapple-chicken stock-Dijon with a little honey and organic sugar. Started out at 3/4 c or so then reduced it to about 3 T to make it glaze-y. That handled 3 racks of spares, glazing the meaty side only.

looks good to me, thx for the pics. i figure most glazes shouldnt need any liquid smoke if the ribs are wood smoked properly.

No, if wood is used no smoke flavoring required. If it isn't for some reason and smoke flavor is wanted, an addition of smoked paprika and/or chipotle (if heat is desired as well) works well. Never been much of a Liquid Smoke fan.

Originally posted by rich langer:
When I want a glaze (almost every time I cook ribs) I use Danny's Glaze, the same one that Keri C. mentioned.

Want the recipe?

1 cup brown sugar
1/4 - 1/3 cup mustard
1/4 - 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar (or beer)

I mix 'em up and put it in the microwave for a minute (litterally)

does this come out to be apple flavored glaze? or should one use something like apple jelly? im looking for a apple flavored rib glaze, any suggestions?

No, it won't be very apple-y.

In a small pot combine about a half-cup of apple jelly with 1 T apple cider vinegar and 1 t mustard (I'd suggest Dijon or brown) and heat over low heat till the jelly is melted. Stir well and add 2 t unsalted butter plus a tiny pinch of salt, or 2 t salted butter. Bring just to a simmer then remove from heat. Keep warm or, if making ahead of time, cool then chill in the fridge; rewarm before use.

(If desired, you can spice/season the glaze--ginger, clove, allspice, cinnamon, sage, chile, white or black pepper, citrus zest, onion, garlic--all could work alone or in combinaton but keep the quantities very small, at least at first.)

Originally posted by danmarks:
have you made this citrus ginger glaze yet?
I just picked up the stuff to make it for a ham that's in the fridge. I'll post the results soon.
icon_wink.gif

Texas Pepper Jelly is my favorite glaze by far. They have great flavors, and are made my folks that barbecue, specifically for use as a bbq glaze. My absolute favotire is the blackberry jalapeno, followed closely by pineapple habanero. If you sign up for the newletter, you get a free jar in the mail!

texaspepperjelly.com

No, it won't be very apple-y.

In a small pot combine about a half-cup of apple jelly with 1 T apple cider vinegar and 1 t mustard (I'd suggest Dijon or brown) and heat over low heat till the jelly is melted. Stir well and add 2 t unsalted butter plus a tiny pinch of salt, or 2 t salted butter. Bring just to a simmer then remove from heat. Keep warm or, if making ahead of time, cool then chill in the fridge; rewarm before use.

(If desired, you can spice/season the glaze--ginger, clove, allspice, cinnamon, sage, chile, white or black pepper, citrus zest, onion, garlic--all could work alone or in combinaton but keep the quantities very small, at least at first.)

i think i would like an apply taste, could i chop a real apple in there and cook it down?

You could. But you'll need to use more apples than you might think as they reduce substantially due to their water content.

If you want to use apple in place of apple jelly then you will need to either go the apple sauce route (cooking chopped apples with sugar, spices and/or aromatics (if desired), and a little water, then running the mixture through a food mill), or sweating the apples slowly in a little fat (butter), covered, till the cell structure breaks down and the apples collapse, then cooking uncovered till the water evaporates. This can then be milled or puréed and turned into a glaze with the addition of some sugar and by returning the purée to the heat so that the sugar dissolves and the mixture becomes tight and syrupy.

Use good cooking apples like Jonathans, Granny Smiths, Gravenstein, Fujo, Golden Delicious (not too ripe), et al.

Alternatively, you can cook down some fresh apple in a little butter as noted, purée, then sweeten with the addition of a little apple jelly, plus a little brown sugar, say, then gently simmer, uncovered, till the mixture is quite syrupy and thickened.

A tiny bit of salt is essential to bring out the flavor of the fruit. Add a tiny pinch to either of these approaches.

In a small pot combine about a half-cup of apple jelly

(If desired, you can spice/season the glaze--ginger, clove, allspice, cinnamon,
K, What about using apple butter? I ask just because it's everywhere here (I love it), and reading your spices, that's pretty much what's in AB. Just throwing it out there.

Apple butter works well as a glaze. It just needs to be tightened a bit through reduction and some added sugar (or honey, other sweeteners, or a mix) but doesn't need that much.

The difference between using apple butter or apple sauce and a glaze made with jelly or juice is the opacity at the finish. Becaue butter and sauce are made with whole fruit they are not very transparent when used for a glaze. Whether or not this is a good or bad thing, or something one is indifferent to, is up to the cook. Something to keep in mind though.

Apple butter works well as a glaze. It just needs to be tightened a bit through reduction and some added sugar (or honey, other sweeteners, or a mix) but doesn't need that much.

The difference between using apple butter or apple sauce and a glaze made with jelly or juice is the opacity at the finish. Becaue butter and sauce are made with whole fruit they are not very transparent when used for a glaze. Whether or not this is a good or bad thing, or something one is indifferent to, is up to the cook. Something to keep in mind though.

appple butter seems already rather thick, it's just not sticky, do u mean tighten as to make it sticky via simmering out more water content out of the AB, or actually melting some form of sugar into it to tighten?

Back