Rib Cook Times and Other Newbie Questions

Dave Kaneva

Assuming 2lb racks...

Cooking low and slow at 225, and NOT using foil, whats the average cook time for Back Ribs, and for St Louis Side Ribs?

Also, if I use both cooking grates, do I have to rotate the ribs from middle grate to the top grate, and vice versa, half way through the cook? or at all?

Lastly, can you fit more than one rack of side or back ribs on a grate (18.5 WSM) without having to cut them in half or use racks?

Thanks guys!

Dave

Dave, suggest take a look at the cooking topics section. Lots of great info from Chris. Starts with the basics and goes on. Covers cooking times, placement on the grill etc.

If you have questions after perusing that area, do not hesitate to get back to us............

It's hard to say exactly, try not to cook by time to much. I would say roughly 4 to 5 hours for back and 6 to 7 for spares. These are very rough estimates though, you'll just have to keep checking them from time to time for tenderness.

I personally wouldn't rotate the ribs from one grate to the next during the cook. Having said that they will finish at different times if you don't. It sounds like your doing spares and back ribs though so if this is the case they'll finish at different times anyways. In that case I would put the spares on the bottom and the back on the top, simply because you are not foiling (you don't have to access them) and and the back ribs will most likely finish first.

You can fit two racks (assuming the two pounds you mention) on a grate without doing anything. If your having trouble though just roll them and attach them with a skewer. Then you will have lots of room.

Let us know how it goes. Is this your first rib cook?

Clark

Back