Rib candy

Matthew F.

Has anyone ever used the Rib Candy from Craig's Texas Pepper Jelly? I saw a you tube video where a guy glazed his ribs with the Mango Habenero rib candy after cooking them on the grill and they looked pretty appetizing.

I have a bottle of Pomegranate Cranberry Habanero to try the next time I do ribs. I'll use the remainder on some pork chops. Their products are common at my local bbq retailer.

Last edited:
These ribs were glazed with Rib Candy Pomegranate Cranberry Habanero. The glaze imparted a tangy, lightly sweet taste. The rack was seasoned with POG and over coated with a homemade rub. They hung for two hours, then were foiled meat down with butter pats, brown sugar and honey. Smoke wood was two pieces of plum.

This is pre-glazed.

20210605_183838_resized.jpg

This is post glazed. Glaze is very thin when brushed on.

20210605_190308_resized.jpg

Dinner plate pic.

20210605_191933_resized.jpg

A close up of a rib.

20210605_193638_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone ever used the Rib Candy from Craig's Texas Pepper Jelly? I saw a you tube video where a guy glazed his ribs with the Mango Habenero rib candy after cooking them on the grill and they looked pretty appetizing.
Matt from Meat Church BBQ uses it on a lot of his cooks. I’ve never tried it. I’ll order some the next time Big Poppa has a free shipping sale.

I just used that product this weekend 2 times to get a taste for it and see what else I could get.
I used this one on some vortex wings Friday and then I tried it with a dry rub and used it as a glaze in the last 25 minutes on a lean center pork loin.
The product is pretty thin, it did drip off the pork roast while it was spinning, lots held on too. It's about as thin as room temperature maple syrup.
I find it more sweet than hot, it does have a bite to it but by no means did I need a drink after. The sweetness is the power flavor here, and the flavor is pretty good, it's probably a good thing it is as thin as it is. This is the bird bath, I have not tried any other flavors or the rib candy line at all so not too much to comment on that.
Just a couple of pics here.

1623078360091.png

1623077449326.png

1623077490825.png

Attachments

• 1623076786230.png
    1623076786230.png
    64.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Question: is it safe to assume that this product is just a thinner version of a pepper jelly that I may or may not have made at home this past year?
(I probably won't attempt this at home because pepper jelly made with ghost peppers from my garden might overwhelm the meat/smoke flavor)

Resurrecting a dead thread. I just stumbled across Rib Candy on the Texas Pepper Jelly website and it looks intriguing. There have been several posts about it here on the forum over the years.

We use it regularly in comp. The Mango Bird Bath (same consistency as Rib Candy) works really well mixed into their Craig's BBQ sauce and then put on the chicken at about the 145 -150 degree range - giving it enough time to setup. We do our comp chicken on our weber 22 kettle at 350 degrees.

As for our ribs (which we smoke on our offset), well all I can say is we have won our fair share of awards using the Rib Candy. When we try dry only we don't do so well. We are big fans!

Question: is it safe to assume that this product is just a thinner version of a pepper jelly that I may or may not have made at home this past year?
(I probably won't attempt this at home because pepper jelly made with ghost peppers from my garden might overwhelm the meat/smoke flavor)
Yes, it is just a thinner version of pepper jelly.

Not all pepper jelly is the same. There is hot pepper jelly which is usually jalapeno based, bell pepper jelly, red pepper jelly which is usually sweet and ghost peppers are their own animal. I would try Rib Candy first and replicate a home made version later if you like. The heat in Rib Candy is definitely not ghost pepper; its too mild. Its habanero pepper in what I've tried. Good stuff.

Back