Reverse sear ?

Eric Michaud

TVWBB Super Fan
So I am trying the reverse sear tonight with some rib eyes, about 2" thick. I am looking for feedback seeing I found articles that said to bring the internal temp to about 100 degrees then another that said bring them to 10 degrees less then your finished temp. I guess you have more wiggle room when you go indirect to 100.

Also do you need to oil your steaks, typically I use oil, kosher salt and loads of course black pepper.

Thanks,
Eric

Never heard the 100 degree thing, but I think 10 degrees is too close. I'd go more like indirect to 25 degrees from target. Sear, which should give you 15 degrees or so. Then rest to get the last 5-10 degrees.

funny thing is that you will eventually find how to do it to what you like. its gonna take several tries. now for the but, but it always depends on the meat and thickness and and and.
good fun !

I hear ya George, the more you mess around with recipes the more experience you gain. Its funny because I have always considered myself to be good in the kitchen or behind a grill, I grew up in a restaurant. But now when I experiment with something new on my grill I try to get as much info from as many sources and mash them together.

The rib eyes were so tender but the sear was a little weak, maybe if I use my char baskets I can ensure the coals are closer. Or bring the temps higher on the indirect part and sear them quickly. No pics due to the fact the Uconn game started and I was not done cooking.

I guess I stress over it for fear of screwing up perfectly good meat, but then again I have yet to have to order a pizza when trying something new.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimK:
...I think 10 degrees is too close. I'd go more like indirect to 25 degrees from target. Sear, which should give you 15 degrees or so. Then rest to get the last 5-10 degrees. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm with Jim. Let us know the next time you do it (and hopefully you'll be able to take some pics), and also how you do it.

Barret

Eric here is some more info about Reverse-Sear.

Saxed from another page:

"REVERSE SEAR" (the FINNEY Method)
1. Thaw meat (if frozen). If meat is refrigerated, remove from fridge when you go out to light grill.

2. Pre-heat your grill to 200* and let stabilize. You can go as high as 250*. Higher really, but the lower the better. Also, a lower cooking temp will get you a smaller rise in internal temp from carryover heat.

3. Insert meat probe into meat and place on the grill. Go as indirect as you can with your cooker. You want gentle heat. A ceramic cooker is better for that than an oven. (because an oven cycles on and off to keep temps within a range)

4. When the internal temp of the meat reaches 5* below your target temp (if cooking at 200-230*) remove steak to a plate and loosely tent with foil. (as much as 10* under your target if cooking at 250*) Leave probe in meat.

5. Open vents on grill and raise temp as high as you feel comfortable. The higher the better to keep a low internal finish temperature. (I know this sounds backwards or reverse even, but trust me)

6. When the internal temp of your meat has dropped 2 -
5* from it's carryover temp high, remove the probe and place meat directly over, and as close to the coals as your cooking rack allows. With extremely high heat and close proximity to the coals you should have a good sear in seconds. (remember, at this point you're only searing... the meat is cooked, so don't leave it on there longer than you have to)

I know this would be extra work and fuel to use but what if you started the cook on your performer or kettle with the right amount of coals to slow cook it. Then finished it on a smokey joe with the coals piled high. Man, I bet you could get a really good sear that way with the steaks so close on the smokey? Just a thought?

I second what Bobby said for a perfect sear,or just use a chimney! But it works great on the kettle just remove the lid for a few min(to feed the fire) before the "sear".

I dont really pull my meat off the grill to lazy(might try) i let the coals get hot before the sear though.

Thanks guys, I love the idea of the smokey joe. Plus I start with a small amount of lump for the indirect part then light a chimney to jack up the heat for the sear, I am going to try dumping the coals in the charcoal baskets for now, I don't have a smoikey joe, yet. I was also thinking of customizing an 18" cooking grate to fit lower on my Performer. I have seen the chimney used but would be a pain with multiple steaks. Now I need to research the prep as far as oiling the steak as I do when I sear direct.

Thanks for the input,
Eric

If you salt your steaks ahead of time you can get some seasoning into the interior. Pull the steaks from the fridge and remove them from their packaging. Salt both sides of the steaks. Use the amount you would use were the steaks already cooked and served to you unseasoned. Allow them to sit on a plate on the counter for and hour or two before cooking (I usually go with two hours.)

Just before cooking, pat with paper towel if the moisture on the steak seems excessive, or simply use some of that moisture to help any rub you've made adhere, lightly drying the steak instead. Apply a saltless or very low-salt rub, if using, to both sides of the steak. Alternatively, pat dry lightly then apply a little oil, then your rub - or you can dry, rub, then oil on top of the rub. All these ways work.

Me, I pile the coals on one side of the grill, heat the grate well, then spin the grate 180?. The steaks go on the hottest side - but since the grate was spun first, this portion of it is not over direct heat. Then I cover the grill. To line them, I turn them 60-90? moving them over to the hotter, direct side of the grate, then spin the grate 180? so they are back to cooking indirectly. When time to flip, I do the same, flipping them to the hot, direct side then spinning the grate to indirect, and repeat once more. This builds the sear during cooking but without the issues of cooking directly - flare-ups - which I abhor.

For cuts that are less tender to begin with or that are quite thick - cuts that I want to cook more slowly - I prep the same way as far as salting first well ahead of time and letting the meat come to room temp over a couple hours, but make the coal pile lower so the heat is gentler, as I am looking to cook more slowly. For this type of cook I simply cook indirect the from the outset, do no grate spinning, and rotate the meat 180? in place, so the side closest to the heat at the beginning gets turned away; I do the same after flipping. When the meat gets near where I want it to be I will go direct for the finishing sear. If necessary I will add new lit to the coal pile first. This, e.g., is how I do tri-tip.

Just some thoughts.

Nice Kevin, that is exactly what I was looking for. I love the spinning move of the grate, so simple but a great move. I have to stop over thinking this and go with my instincts more.

I guess I am SOL as far as a tri tip goes, I have asked 5 different butchers here and I get the same response, " Not gonna happen".

Thanks for the help,
Eric

No problem. Hit the Trader Joe's on New Britain Avenue in West Hartford, across from West Farms Mall, in the same strip as Best Buy. (Get an unmarinated one.)

Wow I will have to check that out Kevin, I live about 4 minutes from there. All this time I was looking at butcher shops and such and they have it. Did you live here or just search it?

Thanks,
Eric

I shop there when I'm in town. Though I haven't lived there since the 70s, I grew up in Newington and West Hartford. My brother and his family are 2 miles north of TJ's and I cook there when in town, so TJ's and WF are my go-to places.

I travel most of the time but in the last few years have avoided winter weather. Now that that seems to be nearly over I hope to get that way soon as I've not been since the fall. I have a multi-week engagement coming up out west starting in May so I need to try to squeeze some time in up there before that if possible.

Wow what a small world. I know the area very well, grew up here and we do a ton of work in West Hartford, I am a remodeler. Another memeber, Kevin Walsh lives right up the road in West Hartford off of Mountain Road.

I think you are safe as far as the snow goes, it was a tough winter here but that's what New England is all about. Going to TJ's tomorrow to check on the Tri tip.

See ya,
Eric

Thanks Bill, I actually went there first with no luck. I buy there on occasion, they have some nice meats but the prices are kinda steep. The Meat House on rt. 44.

Eric, the Meat House in my area (Chelmsford MA) does have Tri Tip....definitely pricey, but they can get. I went to our local Costco today and they do not carry it, told me it was a "West Coast thing". I'll keep pestering them to make it an East Coast thing too
icon_cool.gif

I passed a Trader joe's on the way home and never thought of that.....Will try...

Back