Reverse Sear on Ribeye Steaks

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
What would the lower end of the thickness range be, to reverse-sear a ribeye steak on a gas grill?

I have a Weber Genesis, about 4 years old (bought just before they took off the side shelves and "modernized" it with larger burner knobs and before they put the thermometer in the center of the lid.)

For steaks that are more toward the rare than medium-rare throughout (I'm guessing about 124° internal serving temp), can someone please give me some guidelines? Center burner off, front & back burners on medium? Medium-low? Low?

Remove steak at an internal of 110°(?) and then raise all 3 burners to high for 10 minutes, then sear and rest?

Looking for details!

Thanks,
Rita

Rita,
Giving your post a bump so that hopefully a gas grill pro will answer.

I do my steaks on the kettle and take them indirect until about 110 internal (we like med/rare) then sear over hot coals until about 120/125, for more rare you may want to go a bit lower before rest.

IMO you could just have one burner cranked up for the reverse sear unless doing a large number of steaks, even then, with the sear being fairly short it wouldn't take long to sear several.
HTH

Rita, you want your grill temp in the beginning around 245º-260º. You should be able to accomplish that temp with one burner on low, then obviously put the meat on the opposite side.

Cook until the steaks hit 100º, remove crank the heat and sear until you hit between 120º-125º depending on the rareness desired and the thickness of the steaks. I wouldn't bother doing a reverse sear unless the steaks are at least a minimum of 1.5", preferably 2". If your steaks are thinner, simply let them sit at room temp for an hour or so and you will basically accomplish the same thing as with the reverse sear.

Bob and Larry, thank you for the excellent advice. Just what I was looking for. The ribeyes that I usually buy are about 1.5" thick. I'll look for the thickest ones.

It looks as if I'd be able to get the steaks to 100° internal ahead of time, if I need to, and do a last-minute sear.

Rita

Back