Reunited with an old friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timothy Hoffman

TVWBB All-Star
I grew up with Weber grills. My parents always had them. Finally in 1995 I got my first Weber. It was a hand me down from my neighbor. He had just gotten a new gasser and asked me if I wanted it. (He got rid of the gasser the next year and went back to charcoal.)

The grill he gave me was a 70's model that had faded to grey. It had seen a lot of use. I used it as my primary grill from 1995 until I got a brand new Weber in the spring of 1999. It then served as a back up grill with light use until 2004 when I got divorced. From 2004 until 2007 it just sat unused. In 2007 for our big memorial day cook out it grilled its last. the leg sockets where so rusty it just collapsed when we where done with it. This was over at my friend Ron's place. Fast forward to today. I was over at Ron's and noticed a familiar shape in the tree line of the woods behind his house. My old grill! Everything was still there except the lid. I dragged it all home. The legs, wheels, and cooking grate went into another Weber to make it functional again. I am going to use some aluminum flat stock and the old charcoal grate and turn the bowl into a fire pit.

It is good to have you back old friend.

oldfriend.jpg

Originally posted by Timothy Hoffman:
I grew up with Weber grills. My parents always had them. Finally in 1995 I got my first Weber. It was a hand me down from my neighbor. He had just gotten a new gasser and asked me if I wanted it. (He got rid of the gasser the next year and went back to charcoal.)

The grill he gave me was a 70's model that had faded to grey. It had seen a lot of use. I used it as my primary grill from 1995 until I got a brand new Weber in the spring of 1999. It then served as a back up grill with light use until 2004 when I got divorced. From 2004 until 2007 it just sat unused. In 2007 for our big memorial day cook out it grilled its last. the leg sockets where so rusty it just collapsed when we where done with it. This was over at my friend Ron's place. Fast forward to today. I was over at Ron's and noticed a familiar shape in the tree line of the woods behind his house. My old grill! Everything was still there except the lid. I dragged it all home. The legs, wheels, and cooking grate went into another Weber to make it functional again. I am going to use some aluminum flat stock and the old charcoal grate and turn the bowl into a fire pit.

It is good to have you back old friend.

oldfriend.jpg

Wow that was a very nostalgic and interesting story. It never seizes to amaze me how memories can be some of the fondest moments in time. I am very pleased to see how content you are with this object.

Either way, take care.

Great story Tim! I have a very old one that's getting close to that stage. It's rusted through in some areas.
icon_smile.gif

That is a great way to recycle an old Weber kettle Tim, I like it. And I like the story also. Webers have one thing over alot of other grills History,family memories as they last a long time,and are loved by those who own them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back