Retro Dish Ideas?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I remember Rumaki as a kid </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That reminds me of smoked oysters (similar texture I guess). Those parties always had the cheap canned smoked oysters with toothpicks. I'm not suggesting using the canned variety, but since you've got a smoker...

Paul

In the 60's -70's London Broil was right up there.(grew up on that stuff!)
Not the cut that most SM call it today, it's a technique that uses Flank steak, quickly pan broiled over high heat and sliced thinly across the grain.
Easy enuff on the kettle with a CI skillet or griddle.

Tim

Re: London Broil. Larry Wolfe is a London Broilmeister using top round and a marinade. HERE is his approach -- the whole thread is pretty informative.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc Massaro:
Was talking about this thread earlier, and even thoughit was already on a lis a few posts up, I remember deviled eggs from the early 70's....havent seen them served in years though
Also, my parents were making plenty of london broil in those days too </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I make deviled eggs 5 times a year for family get-togethers! Man, I must have been cooking retro all this time and not even known it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">OH my gosh!! I forgot abou the pu pu platter,..what a great idea!! Yeah I remember ordering those also,...alll the rage! I wonder if they still have them? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the actual tray? or the menu item?

I still see them on menus and it looks like a set can be found on amazon:

pu pu platter

PuPu%20Platter3.jpg

BBQ is about as retro as it gets. So I would think any of the standard things you can throw on the grill like hot dogs or burgers should work. When I remember cookouts as a kid I think about hot dogs, burgers, and sometimes when there was enough money or a big event some nice big t-bones. I agree with the others that the sides and the table settings will do more to set the mood than your main food.
Have fun.

Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Thanks JB,I going to have to look that up and maybe purchase it, for old times sake. Smiler </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

pu pu is on my bucket list after seen a set like that at a store in boston. I'm kind of kicking myself that I didn't pick it up. My buddy has matching volcano scorpion bowls that would be perfect for a meal like this.

Tom, glad to know the deviled egg is a staple on your menu! I love them, will have to find a recipe and start them going again up here

Originally posted by timothy:
In the 60's -70's London Broil was right up there.(grew up on that stuff!)
Not the cut that most SM call it today, it's a technique that uses Flank steak, quickly pan broiled over high heat and sliced thinly across the grain.
Easy enuff on the kettle with a CI skillet or griddle.

That's exactly what I thought of when I saw this. My Dad used to do a London Broil every weekend on the Char Broiler (which eventually morphed to a Weber, so you know where I got the grilling bug from). Dad never used a skillet, just a grill at low heat and it was great (Mom did the now newly popular Iceburg Lettuce Wedge with Thousand Island Dressing as a side, with steak fries). He always marinated it in a blender mix of onions, soy sauce, Kitchen Bouquet, garlic and Beau Monde seasoning (how retro is that?), overnight (made the beef turn black, but such flavor!!). If you're interested I can get you the marinade recipe as I still use it at times when I'm feeling "down-home".

Great topic!

For the grill; family pack of chicken legs w/Open Pit BBQ sauce...it was the few sauces around Des Moines when I was a kid. Thin pork chops, I don't know if you can even get them anymore.
On the sides tangent...
My mother (82) makes some of these for our get togethers and they are usually the first foods eaten:
-deviled eggs
-Cherry Jello mold w/canned bing cherries and pimiento-stuffed green olives
-Gouda cheese wrapped in crescent roll dough
-Hammy Rollups: rectangular ham wrapped around green onions and philly ch. then sliced into disks
-Hickory Farms port wine cheese ball

Hope you have a "swell" or "dandy" blast of a party; plz show us some pics from your Leica or Instamantic or Polaroid after.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I went with Fondue from Alton Brown with bread and Kielbasa and my wife made a cheese ball that had green pepper, pineapple, pecan, and onion on triskets. It was a huge hit. Everybody brought great dishes. There was Strawberry Poke Cake, Deviled Eggs, Celery with Peanut Butter or cream cheese, Cream and cheese on english muffins, sloe gin fizz, whiskey sours with fresh sour mix (awesome!), Chex Mix, toll house cookies, parmesan bread crisps, and a lot I have forgotten. A great time for all, thanks for the help!
Tom

Back