Restoring my Summit Silver

Also, if anyone knows where these are meant to go, please let me know. I took them off from somewhere and have no idea where they go now. They're the same as the ones that hinge onto the lid.

Attachments

• 20231129_130924.jpg
    20231129_130924.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 10
Came out nice, well done! I've wondered about touching up rust like this with POR15 high temp then covering it with a piece of stainless or aluminum bent to fit. I'm hoping to try something like this on my newer summit cookbox over the winter. I have a couple that were replaced with new but I kept the old rusted ones to use as a template

My 650 is a 2008, my 420 is a 2010. Weber replaced the cookbox on both for free because of the rust, I'm just hoping to come up with something of a fix for people that don't have luck with the warranty

Angelo
The one you have is exactly the one I redid for my brother. Good thing on that one is one of the fire box weak spots on it was upgraded to stainless. The other weak spot of course as you have seen is the rat nibbles where the flavo bars rest. I would think anything you can do to reduce the interference of the bars on that lip will help immensely. Good thing on his, I had our Dave Santana here make him new heavy rod stainless grates. His had those stamped ones. They're original owners of it as well. Only other mod I made for him during the resto was to convert to NG from LP. Since he has NG right outside his back door. Everything went like a champ. I have not looked at it recently to see how the lip is holding up though

Also, if anyone knows where these are meant to go, please let me know. I took them off from somewhere and have no idea where they go now. They're the same as the ones that hinge onto the lid.
Not sure if you got your answer yet or not. But those are the lid pivot pins. You may have gotten a new set with the new lid.

Not sure if you got your answer yet or not. But those are the lid pivot pins. You may have gotten a new set with the new lid.
That's the old lid, Bruce (never bought a new one). I'm sure I pulled it from somewhere on this bbq but am forgetting where lol.

LMichaels, yeah I was going to say, I did notice mine had stainless steel where the burners come through. I wonder if that rat nibbled flavor bar rest could he taken off and replicated. My work uses a high end machining shop that does all kinds of nice metal work, like stainless and titanium. I could try them and see how much it would cost. Would probably run into the 100's but would be nice if they could do reduced cost production runs with higher quantities.

That's the old lid, Bruce (never bought a new one). I'm sure I pulled it from somewhere on this bbq but am forgetting where lol.

LMichaels, yeah I was going to say, I did notice mine had stainless steel where the burners come through. I wonder if that rat nibbled flavor bar rest could he taken off and replicated. My work uses a high end machining shop that does all kinds of nice metal work, like stainless and titanium. I could try them and see how much it would cost. Would probably run into the 100's but would be nice if they could do reduced cost production runs with higher quantities.
Angelo, with those kind of resources you could built that thing into a totally bullet proof weapon of mass grilling. While those are not my fav grills (due to the vertical burner layout and no rear burner), they do perform just plain old "grilling" quite well, are easy to use as well. And with the amount of heat they can throw lend themselves well to your country's griling style of lid up grilling. Though I do confess I like it as well for some applications. I.E. when I do tuna steaks, tuna has a delicate flavor, and needs VERY high heat. But you don't want the burning fats smell in the meat. So, I resort to my little Jumbo Joe and hardwood lump charcoal and no lid. Because, really only my Wolf has ever been able to put that kind of heat out. But, your Summit can. I've seen it. Shrimp, and some other delicate seafoods need this type of cookery. So in that regard you can get away with a lot of good stuff on that grill.

Angelo, with those kind of resources you could built that thing into a totally bullet proof weapon of mass grilling. While those are not my fav grills (due to the vertical burner layout and no rear burner), they do perform just plain old "grilling" quite well, are easy to use as well. And with the amount of heat they can throw lend themselves well to your country's griling style of lid up grilling. Though I do confess I like it as well for some applications. I.E. when I do tuna steaks, tuna has a delicate flavor, and needs VERY high heat. But you don't want the burning fats smell in the meat. So, I resort to my little Jumbo Joe and hardwood lump charcoal and no lid. Because, really only my Wolf has ever been able to put that kind of heat out. But, your Summit can. I've seen it. Shrimp, and some other delicate seafoods need this type of cookery. So in that regard you can get away with a lot of good stuff on that grill.
Thanks Michael, yes we do indeed love an open flame grill over here! Good to know this thing will burn hot. 😀

Back