Restored Genesis 1000 getting too hot

Jesse Chubb

Hey all, I recently brought a pretty beat/disgusting Genesis 1000 back from a pretty sad state.
Went to cook on it and let it heat up first and this thing just runs HOT..and I'm not sure where to start.

I did not replace the manifold/regulator/burners...all of which appeared to be in half decent shape..hoping someone can point me in the right direction of which is likely the culprit.

I had it preheating for about 10 minutes maybe and this thing had the thermometer buried...hot to even touch the handle to open it.
It seemed like turning the knobs had minimal effect..

To cook on it I had to turn all but the middle burner off and just eek the propane a little bit - at which point it seemed to maintain about 350-400.

I'm by no means a grill expert..but am assuming this is not normal behavior.

I was just considering replacing the parts mentioned above, but figured I'd ask here before throwing more money at it.

Thanks for any help!
Jesse

Propane / Natural Gas? There are different gas orifices but that's the extent of my knowledge

I suppose I cant be 100% sure on that...
I picked it up off someone selling it for their mother, who they claimed was still using it up until recently - and it had a propane tank hooked up with it..so I guess I just went with the assumption.

When I went to look at it, I did light it up and checked it all out, all seemed to be in working order, but I didn't let it sit and heat up..so I'm not sure this wasnt an issue with it prior to me disassembling and cleaning/replacing what I needed to.

When its turned on, there are some pretty intense flames going on, and (im not sure if this is normal), but the regulator has some significant vibration to it and sounds like its chugging propane.

Try a new regulator but I'll tell you there a lot of bone heads out there who think all they have to do is switch hoses. Your description sounds like you got it from just such a bone head

Anyway I can tell by looking at the manifold, specific characteristics? The sticker on the side of the control panel area is completely faded and I can make out very little on it.
Its a green genesis 1000...it did not have the durawood on it..regular wood which the previous owner painted (poorly) - but I doubt that helps narrow it down to a specific type.

You can check the orifice sizes against a flow chart. Not totally scientific but use a number drill set and see what is the largest size (shaft not the spiral part) of bit that will fit in the orifice. Than post or PM me the sizes. I have a flow chart and could tell you. If they're wrong the good thing is new blank "spuds" are easy to find and resize properly.

Pulled it out when I got home..have a numbered set but im not positive they are all in the right slots up that way..but looks like #54, which says its .055
If I'm reading these charts I'm finding right...at that size, using propane, each burner is putting out ~ 20,000 BTU's?
Clearly way above the 12K each should be putting out...but maybe I'm misunderstanding the conversion/table.

Last edited:
Might be a simpler way. Does your grill have a holder on it for the propane tank ? If it was NG and someone jimmied it for LP, I doubt they would have added a holder.

You've got me thinking now...there was no holder, but I didnt put any thought into it because the flip up table was missing also..thought maybe someone dismantled/cleaned it before or something..what they did have was some jerry rigged LP holder table mounted up down near the wheels. Starting to make sense that this is NG and they were just running it on propane...So this is as simple of a fix as ordering some new orifices at a size 58 (is that right?) and getting a new regulator?

You've got me thinking now...there was no holder, but I didnt put any thought into it because the flip up table was missing also..thought maybe someone dismantled/cleaned it before or something..what they did have was some jerry rigged LP holder table mounted up down near the wheels. Starting to make sense that this is NG and they were just running it on propane...So this is as simple of a fix as ordering some new orifices at a size 58 (is that right?) and getting a new regulator?

If you have a fairly short hose, they probably switched out the regulator, so no need for a new one. If that's the case, should just need new orifices and you'd be set. Don't know about size, perhaps LM can jump in on that one

If and when I do my conversion, I'm going to talk to these folks.

http://www.grill-repair.com/weber332orifice.html

The size you mentioned is NG size. So now you have the answer. Either find a LP manifold, set the grill up for NG or get blank spuds and size them correctly. There is one "gotcha" if you just use new spuds. The actual valves on the NG models have a slightly larger "low" and "medium" port in the valve. Not drastic but enough to notice that low and medium will be a teeny bit hotter than low/med on a true NG manifold. Though truthfully for the $$$$$ difference to get a few spuds and drill bits as opposed to the cost of an entire manifold I would not worry about it

Another option is to scour CL and find a donor LP grill for cheap and pick it up just for the manifold.

Be sure to be careful that the 13 bar (deep box) grill has a very different manifold than the 5 row (shallow box) grill even through both are 3 burners

I bought a similar grill. It was a NG grill. I converted to propane.

I still have not converted the side burner, I need the orifice for that.

I dd buy an entire new manifold assembly, but the grill still runs at really high temps.

I am not sure why.

I bought a similar grill. It was a NG grill. I converted to propane.

I still have not converted the side burner, I need the orifice for that.

I dd buy an entire new manifold assembly, but the grill still runs at really high temps.

I am not sure why.

Start a new thread & people can probably help you sort out your problem.

It sometimes gets confusing when dealing with multiple people's problems in a single thread.

Thanks Clint , wasn't really looking for help, just an observation.

It did get me thinking and googling, and while my grill that is converted is at a summer place , I kind of gave up on it as just too busy. But I did look into it, and think I have another important variable that is relative to this thread and for the OP to consider.

It seems that when converting from NG to propane or vice versa you need to adjust the carburateurs , or amount of air that is allowed to mix with whatever gas you are burning. You want flames that are about a little over. An inch, blue with orangish tips. You do not want orange flames and you do not want flames that are floating over the burners.

This can all be adjusted by opening or closing the vent ( some call it a 'carburateur) on the burner.

Back