Restoration advice

Dave Moser

I have a 2007 E310 Genesis I’m restoring. The paint on the side of the hood is about half gone. I don’t want to just paint over the large bare metal parts because it will look in even. Looking for any advice and some chess stories on how to address the issue. Thanks, look forward to discussion

Dave, First, welcome to the forum!
Second, I share your view of auto incorrect!
Third, can you send a picture of the area? If it’s the end cap, is might not be as bad a project as you might think. But, I’ll reserve further embarrassment until I have more information.

Remove the end caps from the lid. Use a wire wheel in a drill to remove all the paint from the end caps. Don't use braided wire, it will gouge the aluminum. The best ones to use are brass, they are softer and won't leave marks though you still need to use a gentle touch. Prep the surfaces with something like brake cleaner and repaint with a high heat paint.

Hi Dave,

My suggestion is to blackout the end caps and the cookbox.

Here's my slightly newer E330, but your 2007 is the same grey color.

View attachment 81789

That looks great, beautiful grill! Thanks for the tip. I’ve had a hard time finding high heat gray, plenty of black though.

Remove the end caps from the lid. Use a wire wheel in a drill to remove all the paint from the end caps. Don't use braided wire, it will gouge the aluminum. The best ones to use are brass, they are softer and won't leave marks though you still need to use a gentle touch. Prep the surfaces with something like brake cleaner and repaint with a high heat paint.
Thanks for the response. That sounds like a good plan as well. I think removing the paint makes sense with the amount of paint that’s worn off. I will post a pic when I get my a chance

Dave, First, welcome to the forum!
Second, I share your view of auto incorrect!
Third, can you send a picture of the area? If it’s the end cap, is might not be as bad a project as you might think. But, I’ll reserve further embarrassment until I have more information.
Thanks! I’ll post a picture when I get a chance

Back