Resto complete. Now, maintenance for long life?

Kurt Donnelly

TVWBB Member
Completed the Genesis 1 restoration, and thanks again to the many members here who contributed to its success. Now looking for maintenance tips, ie routine cleaning, winter storage, and the like. I've never done much in the past beyond gleaning the grates and covering it up for winter. I have some idea what I could be doing, but also wondering is there a maintenance sticky here in the boards somewhere? Thanks

Keeping it out of the elements is definitely a good one, even better if you can drag it in the garage or shed for the winter. A once a year inspection and cleaning of the burner tubes, cook box, flavorizer bars, and big grease tray will go a long way towards keeping that grill in top condition as well. I'm sure you're probably already or planning to do these things anyway so I'm just throwing it out there.

Keeping it out of the elements is definitely a good one, even better if you can drag it in the garage or shed for the winter. A once a year inspection and cleaning of the burner tubes, cook box, flavorizer bars, and big grease tray will go a long way towards keeping that grill in top condition as well. I'm sure you're probably already or planning to do these things anyway so I'm just throwing it out there.
Didn't take the flavor bars long to get gunked up, reckon I should pull those out and clean them throughout the season? I have the ceramic coated ones, with luck they'll clean right up. On the other hand, is the gunk what gives the grill "flavor"? When you say a good cleaning of the cook box, what's recommended? I know I can scrape the lid, how intensive for the box itself?

Mine's on a second-floor deck, so a flight down to the garage, but a good set of helping hands is hard to find sometimes. I might end up covering the grill (& cover) with additional tarps and bungies. I would remove the trays and innards for cleaning and safekeeping though.

I’m pretty much on the same page as Steve, clean the drip try more than you think you need to. That is one thing that gets overlooked very easily and they get rank pretty quickly.
Thanks. Mine was overlooked so long it's in poor repair, but it patched up adequately. I'll endeavor to keep it clean and functional.

When you say a good cleaning of the cook box, what's recommended? I know I can scrape the lid, how intensive for the box itself?
Nothing too crazy. When I have the grates and flavorizer bars out I just take a 2" putty knife and scrape all the grease down towards the big drip tray. Then I pull out the grease tray and scrape all the gunk into the little grease tray. Since I started doing this it's all but eliminated flare ups and grease fires.

Nothing too crazy. When I have the grates and flavorizer bars out I just take a 2" putty knife and scrape all the grease down towards the big drip tray. Then I pull out the grease tray and scrape all the gunk into the little grease tray. Since I started doing this it's all but eliminated flare ups and grease fires.

When its on fire, time to clean the grease tray

Back