Restaurant Techinique for Ribs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Willis

TVWBB Member
I've done the BRITU and I was pretty impressed. But, I was wondering if someone could shed some light on how some of the restaurants (chains, like Houston's) do their ribs.

The ribs I'm talking about have a smokey/spicy flavor, falling off the bone, like they've been smoked, but also have a singed, crispy texture to the bones, like when done on a grill.

I can't imagine they're par-boiling, then grilling, but maybe they are. I really like the taste and feel of the smoked ribs I've done, but wanted to get that crispy part down. Do you just put it on a gasser for a few minutes and brush on some sauce?

Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Willis:
[qb]

Do you just put it on a gasser for a few minutes and brush on some sauce?

[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah, you could do that, or you could open all vents and maybe even take out the access door in the WSM.
This will give you a heat boost that might crisp up your ribs a little.

Don Marco

This is inside secret stuff, and a sad, sad story........

I read this in a restaurant industry publication about how a famous rib chain prepares their ribs:

The ribs are cooked in a gas (yes gas!) rotiserre oven at 240 for six and a half hours. There is a small smoke box which wood chips are burned in for the first two hours of the smoke. The cooked ribs are then refrigerated for up to 72 hours (!) and when ready for consumption are slapped on the grill for warming, and sauce is added right before serving.

An affront to true barbequers everywhere....

Pat
That sound like one of the better techniques considering what you can find. Parboiling and ribs that see no smoke at all are very common.

If you have precooked a lot of ribs, cooking them to about 80% and cooling to be reheated on a grill is a good way to go. As they warm on the grill they finish tenderizing. This is not as good as what you can do at home but a good way to get decent product to crowds or over long periods of time.
Jim

Many joints also use steam tables to tenderize. Then they throw on the gril and sauce just before serving.

Lots of ways to get them tender and then crisp them up over high heat.

I like getting the ribs pretty much done, then throwing them on a semi-hot grill (2-3 seconds of being able to hold the hand over the coals before it gets to be too much) - it only takes a couple of minutes to get a nice dry exterior, maybe even just slightly crunchy. Add a glaze of sauce or something at the end (some guys on our BBQ team love a combination of a tablespoon of blackberry all-fruit to a cup of BBQ sauce) and "set" the sauce over the coals for no more than 30-45 seconds per side, if you're in to that kind of thing. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I like my ribs dry, personally, but I'll take 'em any way I can get 'em!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Willis:
[qb] I've done the BRITU and I was pretty impressed. But, I was wondering if someone could shed some light on how some of the restaurants (chains, like Houston's) do their ribs.

The ribs I'm talking about have a smokey/spicy flavor, falling off the bone, like they've been smoked, but also have a singed, crispy texture to the bones, like when done on a grill.

I can't imagine they're par-boiling, then grilling, but maybe they are. I really like the taste and feel of the smoked ribs I've done, but wanted to get that crispy part down. Do you just put it on a gasser for a few minutes and brush on some sauce?

Thanks! [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Go to the thread "Competition Ribs" under "Recipes/Pork Recipes".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back