Restaurant Depot

Mark B (azmark)

TVWBB Member
I've been cooking a few times a week and as cooks progress I've been getting a lot pickier with the quality of meats I get.

Usually Costco was my go to but I can't find bone-in butts anymore and the quality doesn't seem as well as it can be. Ribs are still pretty good selection though.

I recently found a neighborhood butcher that is great and is a little more expensive to they are limited on the amount of brisket with points still attached to them.

So I was curious if Restaurant Depot has a good meat selection and if the membership is worth it.

Thanks!

Mark - Where you from? I'm in the Chicago area and I always go to Peoria Meat Packing in the city (although that doesn't do you much good if don't live around here). They have the absolute best prices and quality pork I've come across. As for Restaurant Depot, we have one near us as well. I went to walk in and the way it was explained to me was that you need to have a valid business license or tax exemption certificate. Membership is free but need to part of or own a business.

By the way - If I'm wrong about this, someone please let me know! I was able to go in one with my brother who is a chef and it looked like they had some pretty decent cuts of meat.

Keith,
You can get a day pass any time if you're a KCBS member. They used to issue cards, but I guess it got out of hand, so now they only do the day passes. They still take the cards if you got in on it early enough. But every time I go in and scan my card, a voice tells me see the attendant, who just waves me through. You're just south of me if you're in Bolingbrook, so Lombard would be a good one for you. Closer than Peoria. They usually have pretty good meat, also great deals on lots of other goodies

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dann B:
Keith,
You can get a day pass any time if you're a KCBS member. They used to issue cards, but I guess it got out of hand, so now they only do the day passes. They still take the cards if you got in on it early enough. But every time I go in and scan my card, a voice tells me see the attendant, who just waves me through. You're just south of me if you're in Bolingbrook, so Lombard would be a good one for you. Closer than Peoria. They usually have pretty good meat, also great deals on lots of other goodies </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the heads up on KCBS members. Is the pass just a one time thing or just anytime you want as long as you check in?

Mark,

My RD usually has a couple different brands of pork, and 3-4 different grades of beef.

You can usually rummage through and find what you are looking for. I doubt their prices can be beat. When we do large cooks, I always go there.

I am part of a family business so I made a copy of our business license and registered online before I went in. Filled out a form and they gave me 2 cards.

I believe with the KCBS offer you just have to check in each time. But regardless if you have a RD card or not, you still have to scan it when you walk in the door.

I have to pay by cash or debit/credit card. Checks must match the company that is registered.

Also, either have some extra money to blow or do not go near the cooking tools & utensil section. Way too much over there is tempting.

Not sure what I would need a bowl for that was 3 ft wide, but I want one for some reason.

+1 on the cooking utensil comment. I went to a RD once with a buddy and walked out with a full sheet pan for 7 bucks. Its absoluelty awesome for handling a pile of ribs or whatever. its a nightmare to attempt to clean and store. Still worth it though
icon_wink.gif

I shop at RD in Torrance, CA at least twice a week for our sr citizens lunch program and I just love the place! You do need a membership and for that you need the bus. license. I have found their meats to be very good quality and the price is right! And the cooking equip. dept. is great as well. If you need other ingredients in mass quantities, RD is the place!

Dann B - I'll have to check into the KCBS deal. I've been to the one in Lombard. What I meant to say was I go to Peoria Meat Packing which is on Lake Street and, I forget the cross street. It's a high volume butcher/meat packing facility which has a wholesale store open to the public. I've been many places and haven't found anywhere that beats fresh butchered pork (the same day) or their prices and quality.

I've been looking into comp's but can't seem to find folks that want to do it, even on a small scale. Any suggestions?

If convenient, check out Wheaton meats. I got some beef back ribs there that were pretty good. I also got some at Valli Produce (on sale for $2/lb) and saw them today at the Ultra in Wheaton.

That said, I've made back and spare ribs from Sam's and thought they were good as were the two briskets I got there.

There's also a meat market in Glendale Heights - Jasper meats. They're primarily wholesale but are open to the public on Saturday. Best to call a couple days in advance if you're looking for something in particular. I checked out their selection one Saturday and there was a big packer sitting on the counter waiting for someone to pick it up. (The whole room is refrigerated and they also ply you with samples.
icon_biggrin.gif
)

As a member of the KCBS you can go to Restaurant Depot and get a single day pass anytime you want.

I've been there and purchased a whole brisket but was very disappointed that they NEVER carry (or at least mine here in CLT) bone in rib eyes.

Bummer.

As a KCBS member, I've been once using the day pass. I printed out the info from the KCBS website and showed it to the person at the front. Hassle free admission. Although I didn't buy anything, the quality seemed good. I definitely plan on going back for my next large cook.

RD today had choice angus packers for 2.39/lb which I think is a pretty great deal.

Boneless butt 2-packs at 1.59/lb

Skin-on full bellies at $2.33/lb

These are individual, not case prices.

I have bought case lots of pork butts, ribs, hot links, Black Angus briskets, chicken thighs and wings. Prices and quality are good.

You can't buy a membership. Membership is only open to the Food Industry and Non Profits.

RD is part of Jetro Industries and in the same family as Cash and Carry and Smart and Final.

All you have to have is a business license, does not matter if you a food industry or not. They also sell janitor supplies, so you can say its for an office.

Ok dont quote this but I thought I heard a guy say he has a roofing company and went in and they didnt bat an eyelash.

Back