Report First Lump Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Well I filled the ring Full with Wal-Marts
Real Flavour Lump and dumped a Weber Chimney
lit with my electric starter on top.
Added two large chunks of hikory and put the middle section on. Filled my over sized Brinkmen
water pan full of hose water ( temp unknown ).
Put the top on with all vents 100 % open.
Grate temp was up to 230F in about 15 minutes.
Put on a cold brisket flat and closed the bottom vents down to abou 20 % open and the top was left at full open.

The maverick ET 73 showed the temp ranged from a low of 230F to a high of 262F and settled in at 247F. I never touched the vents during the cook.

Brisket flat was done to 190 in 7 1/2 hours and I pulled it. Looked great and tasted great nice and moist with a nice smoked ring and dark brown
bark .

I shut down all the vents to put the fire out.
Now after the WSM was stone cold I opened it up
and found the water pan was still about 1/2 full
and the lump was only about 1/2 used and the hickory chunks were still about 1/2 also.

Conclusion Here was from the 9 pounds of lump I started with I had 4 pounds left. The cost of fuel was half of the $5.97 I paid for the
10 pound bag. Had no problem with the temp and never touched the WSM after the meat was on.
My wife and feel the taste was better then the
Kingford brisket I made last week and the guests
all had double loads and loved it .

I figure the load of lump would have made it
to 12 to 14 hours and I will do the butt next
week to see if $3.00 worth of Wal-Mart lump
will do the job.

Sorry this was so long but I always wanted someone to give me a Lump test and hope maybe this will help some new WSM 'ers always asking
about using lump in their WSM.

Jim

Good report Jim. I was wondering how lump would work and after reading your findings, I am going to use some Royal Oak lump this weekend to do dome pastrami I have curing as we speak. I will let the forum know how everything turns out nextweek. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I always use a 50/50 mix of Kingsford traditional briquets (?) and lump. Usually it's the BBQ Galore brand. Works really well and it stays hot forever. I've not tried the Wal-Mart lump but glad you got good results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back